The Horse Forum banner

Gaited horse and trot?

1859 4
Hi everyone! How would you teach a gaited (Icelandic) horse to trot? I have seen her trot in the paddock like once or twice, but never in handwork or with rider. Her preferred gait is pace, but she also chooses to tölt from time to time. But the thing is, that I cannot even think of possibly showing at any time in the future, when we don't have the trot. And we can't just go to gaited horse-shows, as she is not officially Icelandic. :? So it would be really nice to have trot. It would not even have to be good, and I'd be happy. :p

Thank you and a merry Christmas to you all!! :D
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
If I were you I'd forget about ruining her gait with a trot. This gait is what makes the breed desirable and unusual.

As for showing, you'll have to do your research but there are plenty of open shows out there that have "gaited classes" not specified by breed or registration. There will be 2 gait and 3 gait classes that any gaited horse can show in. You just need to look around and get away from the traditional walk, trot, canter shows. Take a look at Standardbred shows. There are ex-race horses that can gait and the Standardbred shows have classes open to any gaited horse! Join an Icelandic club even if it's not local- it will be a great resource and you won't feel so isolated.

Keep her for her uniqueness or buy yourself a traditional walk trot canter horse if you are really unhappy about not showing in a typical show.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.