Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have a STB, she's a born pacer but she was trained to trot. She never raced.

I'm having trouble with the canter. I was talking about it with my friend and she was telling me what her trainer told her (with the amount of improvement I've seen in her and her horse, I trust her trainers advice.)
She said to really push with my seat and lift and hold her up.
so far, when I do this
She gets really forward and then gets nervous, since she gets all unfocused she starts to cross canter or pace.
If I get up off her back when she does that, she usually fixes herself.
I really don't know what to do.

I understand that I should be taking lesson and not asking over the internet, but I'm not in a monetary situation for that. So I'm looking for tips or advice.
thank you so much:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello all.
I have a STB, she's a born pacer but she was trained to trot. She never raced.

I'm having trouble with the canter. I was talking about it with my friend and she was telling me what her trainer told her (with the amount of improvement I've seen in her and her horse, I trust her trainers advice.)
She said to really push with my seat and lift and hold her up.
so far, when I do this
She gets really forward and then gets nervous, since she gets all unfocused she starts to cross canter or pace.
If I get up off her back when she does that, she usually fixes herself.
I really don't know what to do.

I understand that I should be taking lesson and not asking over the internet, but I'm not in a monetary situation for that. So I'm looking for tips or advice.
thank you so much:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to direct you to a video I once saw a while ago. I have my gelding boarded at a farm that breeds tennessee walkers and Rocky mountain. I ride them sometimes and have been able to teach the ones that have trouble with the canter using his method. I know you said you have a STB and their gaits are slightly different but this might work.

·
Registered
49,340 Posts
Very interesting.
what's really intrigueing is that he counter bent the horse to the left (brought the head to the left) for the right lead canter depart, and it worked.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mare can canter, she knows how. She's been cantering for 6 years I guess? (Since she was fully broke)

I should have made this more clear, so I do apologize! If I roll and push with my seat and lift her up, to get her onto her butt and not on her forehand, she gets fast and trips up. I think she's very unbalanced.

Many property have said, circle more, but she does HORRIBLE on circles. She paces almost the whole thing because she drops her shoulder. I can't het her UP without her breaking to a pace or crosscantering. I guess that's a better explanation

Thank you for trying to help trackstar!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Are you keeping her collected when asking for the canter- or just letting her on a loose rein?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean keeping her using her butt, or just putting her in a frame?
I never put her into a frame, I can get her to use her butt at the trot, and I try to keep her on it when I ask for the canter, and that's where our problem starts.
My hands are very light never hard or yanky
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
I mean 'gatherin her up' gaited horses do best collected- mine will take all kinda missteps when on a loose rein askin for any gaits.

What do you mean 'keep her on her butt' makin her round? Collection?

The way ive ridden and seen rackin horses ridden theyre not collected- theyre stretched out when rackin.. if youre wantin to collect her- shake her head down and squeeze your legs into the gait.. she shouldnt trip.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, on her butt and using it properly so she is collected.
I don't want her to gait, I want her to collect and work correctly in the canter.

Forcing her head down doesn't make her not trip, it's what causes her to trip
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Yes, on her butt and using it properly so she is collected.
I don't want her to gait, I want her to collect and work correctly in the canter.

Forcing her head down doesn't make her not trip, it's what causes her to trip
Posted via Mobile Device

I realize you dont want her to gait but the speed rackin horses aint collected when the rack.. theyre stretched out- thats what the hobbles are for (keepin them from breakin gait) *random information* :lol:

Can you post a video so i can understand better- please? Sounds like youre makin her lift her head up too high and its causin her to be off ballance.. dont take it the wrong way- you cant make a naturally gaited horse be ungaited.. you can train them to trot but the instinct to pace or gait will always be there- you gotta force the gaited horse to not gait and i think thats where youre havin a problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, I have been working with my mom's Icelandic on just finessing his gaits. Now, he naturally has a very nice canter, but I have been working on getting him to hold his canter, especially in circles, because, just like yours, he paces (yes, instead of tolting) and will usually break into pacing when circling. What I usually do is just play with the reins a lot, get him to take the bit and chew, drop his head, ect. Then, I gently pick up the reins and get him to tuck in his head a bit and round out. I mostly ask for a canter from the walk. That way he can't run into it. I will sit back, and, if he seems heavy on the forehand, litally lift my hands up to get him to lighten up and shift back, which really seems to work. He seems to not be able to pace as easily if he is shifted back. Then, I move my inside leg slightly forward, and my outside leg slightly back, squeeze, and kiss. Don't forget rein contact! If he doesn't go right into a nice, collected canter, I will pull him down a bit and give more leg until he does. Just remember not to lean forward.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, no problem!
And what I meant by lifting her up, I meant her forehand. Getting her lighter in the front and using her butt, not just pulling her head off.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I like that video. I've owned TWH's, TWH crosses and currently own 2 KMH's. I have always cantered my gaited horses. I have always taught them the same cues as my non-gaited horses learned to take each lead. It seemed to me that they need to be taught haunches in to point the lead foot forward. (They should also be taught lateral movement on cue.) It also seemed logical that they
walk--running walk (or amble, or whatever is breed specific)--canter,
JUST like a non-gaited horse
walks--trots--canters.
They need to be taught collection, just like any non-gaited horse will benefit from this. AND, just like any non-gaited horse can trot all day, a gaited horse can gait all day. If you want to wear them for submission you MUST teach them the canter cues. I have never found that their gaits suffer from canter work.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Just a small tip-- when youre tryin to get her rounded the goal is to kinda get her 'bunched' --tuck her fanny and lift the back not rise on the fore end.. if she doesnt flex at the poll when you lift- youll just be liftin her head up in the air instead of her givin to the pressure. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Corporal
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.