The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've trained my TWH to trot on command. He always naturally trotted, and also paces and has a four beat gait. He has a beautiful rocking horse canter. It's definitely possible to train both a trot and a gait, and while a lot of people don't agree with it, I figured anything he learns that he didn't know before is a good thing. I'm also taking dressage lessons on him. Not gaited, or western, but classical dressage. He has a lot more to learn than horses that have started out in that discipline, but he's calmer, happier and much more willing with work than when I was just trail riding him. Our trainer warned me it would be harder to train him than if I sold him and bought a horse already started in dressage, but I didn't want to work with a different horse, I wanted to learn something new with him. We're both more confident and I think our relationship has really come a long way. I think if you wanted to compete and move up the levels, it would be hard on a gaited horse (although not impossible, you should Google Champagne Watchout, he was trained in upper level movements), but I have no intentions for that so I'm happy with what we are learning. I also don't ever intend to sell him.

I agree with checking out Naturally Gaited, she has a YouTube, a blog and a Facebook I think. From her videos, she just got a young gaited horse that she's training so it'll be interesting to see her start a gaited horse in dressage from the beginning.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts