The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have serious numb foot issues if I ride for longer than 20 minutes, and wide tread stirrups I got don't help at all. I've also tried gluing squishy stirrup treads to the wide stirrups, but unfortunately they didn't stick.

I'd really like to try some insoles to stop my toes from going numb while I ride, but I don't know if they'd fit well in field boots. Does anyone have experience with insoles in riding boots? Can you buy generic insoles, or do I have to get the specific ariat branded ones? Or would I be better off foregoing insoles entirely and just getting the thinline stirrup treads and using zip ties and black magic to make them fit my wide tread stirrups?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
They may help but I am willing to bet anyone with this issue is going to tell you the crux of the problem is in your SI.

My entire foot (sometimes both feet) can go numb if my SI needs adjusted and the sciatic nerve has pressure on it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Or it could be your boots cutting at your ankles - I’ve had that with one pair. Stopped wearing those and in my case it went away. Or even your breeches/jeans being too tight somewhere.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's actually an issue with the migraine medication I take messing with the feeling in my lower legs and feet, and it gives my toes the absolute worst case of pins and needles if I put too much pressure on the balls of my feet for too long.

It makes riding with stirrups for any length of time absolutely killer, but my horse has a pretty rough trot, so I'd really like to have those stirrups there.

And before you ask, yes I have been working on riding without stirrups. But for the sake of his back, my back, and my butt, I'd prefer to ride with stirrups. At least for now. I have been getting better though!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I can't recommend this personally having never tried it, but some people say socks with copper woven in help with circulation. I don't know if that would help you. Also maybe switching around where your feet are on the stirrups? I know it's supposed to be the balls of the feet, but if you feel comfortable / safe doing it, you could put your feet further in. Not all the way to the heels, but more like the middle of your feet.

I also wonder if changing stirrup lengths during your ride might help.

Reactions: bsms

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Maybe try adjusting where you put your feet in the stirrups. I've got issues with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It is worse if I ride with the balls of my feet on the stirrups. Better if I ride in the home position - which is not unsafe and will not cause one's foot to get caught. Another thing that helps me is using a shoe/boot with a wider toe box. You might also try adjusting your stirrups like this:
Or get caged stirrups and use sneakers instead of boots...freaks me out seeing people wear sneakers in regular stirrups. Also, if you are used to "heels down", you might try ignoring that advice.

I think inserts will squeeze your foot more and make things worse instead of better. That was my experience when I tried them.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
@bsms how about the foto I posted of me riding bareback in sneakers:p

@Ratlady I was going to say to ditch the riding boots and buy mens high top basketball sneakers. They are what I usually ride with as my ankles are covered and men’s shoes are wide enough for me to wiggle my toes but not so wide they are sloppy on my feet.

You could try putting gel inserts in them.

Reactions: bsms

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Insoles wont help. I have bad ankles and my feet also go numb. I can't wear normal boots that even slightly constrict any part of my leg and ride a size up because the longer I ride, the more my feet expand. Much like running. They will feel too roomy at the start of a ride. I love leather for this reason and have a very worn pair.
Ankle boots with half-chaps give the best mobility and circulation in my experience. Wide grippy tread stirrups. Figure out if you need more stability or mobility from your stirrup design not just the tread. Ride as long as you possibly can. If you can ride bareback and/or stirrupless ride as long as you possibly can and give yourself just enough base to support and balance you. They might be so long that if you do sitting trot or canter you might lose them but for the majority of the ride they will at least support you. When my feet are tired I just push my foot further in until the heel for a break. I will also alternate lifting a leg over the saddle flap and rest my leg on my mare's shoulder. Seriously debating getting a basket cover for my stirrups so I can wear trainers/sneakers for casual strolls out.

Lastly if you have a comfortable pair of boots and trousers that do not constrict... wear knee compression stockings. Like runners use. Extra stability plus improved circulation. Don't get cheap ones just invest in one really good pair for riding, pharmaceutical grade. Mine cost £25 but I had to try a few brands to find one that didn't cut in the knee. Everything combined means I haven't experienced any tingling or numbness since starting riding again this year. I never have used a seat saver for my own use but I also imagine they can help a bit if the problem is further up. When riding I will periodically, if safe, take my feet out of one stirrup and rest it in front of the saddle on my mare's shoulder. One of my oldest and favourite instructors taught me that once I got cramp. She also had bad hips so would do it herself. The relief could make me fall over on some days. I will also do the bear hug - stand in my stirrups but bent over and wrap my arms around my mares neck and relax in a hug to stretch my back. She tends to join in the stretch 😁 If she's wearing a breastplate I'll hang onto that. This happens more often than I care to admit because of how tall she is when going under low trees.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! There's a lot of really good information here!

I'll definitely try some of these suggestions until I can ditch the stirrups for good. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I notice that my right foot had that issue for a bit and it was because my stirrups were different lengths. When my trainer fixed my stirrups the problem went away. Now I have two new saddles and I need to have my stirrups adjusted again! I will get that done next time I ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts