The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gelding that is 2 years and 5 months. Last week I noticed that he was dribbling a little bit of urine when he was standing. I took him to the vet and they did bloodwork and checked his kidneys and all was normal. I cleaned his sheath and also checked for beans. There were none. The vet also double checked for me. He said to have him take the antibiotic Uniprim and take him off of Alfalfa and only feed Coastal Bermuda. He just finished his last two scoops of Uniprim. As far as food, he is getting half a scoop of Purina Equine Junior, half a scoop of rolled oats, and one scoop of Platinum Performance Equine vitamins daily. None of this has changed recently EXCEPT for the crimped oats changing to rolled oats. Three weeks ago I cleaned his sheath and found beans, but I'm wondering if I didn't get all of the soap out??? Would that possibly cause this? There are no signs of pain when urinating and he also pees normally too. We are located near Houston, Texas and the temps are very high. He has no fever.

Any ideas on what might me causing this????

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
It could be the soap caused an irritation so it hurts to go & what you are seeing is over flow. Did the vet catheterize him for a urine sample & to see if he is retaining urine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also forgot to mention that this started exactly on the day that two mares were moved to the pasture next to his. No the vet didn't catherize him for a urine sample.

Also, it's not happening all day long. He did it today off and a on for about a minute.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He shows a little interest in the mares. i brought a urine sample to the vet this morning and they said UTI and another week on Uniprim and possibly one more week. It was improving on the first course so I am hoping that the second course will work. At any sign of loose stool I am supposed to stop because this antibiotic can cause GI problems and he said we would move to penicillin if that happens. My poor baby!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
My big paint did this a few years ago. The vet determined his SI joint was bothering him and the pain was causing him to have trouble holding his bladder completely. A bit of bute for a few days, some body work and keeping him moving and it cleared up. I called and talked with his previous owners (family friends) and she said he had done it once before and was sore in the back then, too.
Just another possibility to consider.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
What did you use to clean his sheath with?
If this started since that time, perhaps too strong of a solution, which allowed a UTI to occur.
perhaps you know the following already, but just something else to consider if you did not use a commercial sheath cleaner

'Fiction: To really clean my horse's sheath, I should use an antibacterial soap, such as Betadine or chlorhexidine.

Fact: To protect those friendly microorganisms, never use antibacterial soap. Use a commercial sheath cleaner (such as Excalibur or Equi-Pro. These products cut through the grease, have a pleasant odor, and make sheath cleaning easier. Warm water also helps cut grease--and your horse will like it better.'

Hope you get the problem solved!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He was gelded at 6 months so I don't think that's what it is. The vet said he could be on Uniprim for up to 3 weeks to treat the infection. I am keeping him stalled so he is cool and doesn't get dehydrated. Only letting him out for a few hours at night when it is cool. I am seeing some improvements! Thank goodness!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts