The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see m horse a couple days ago and when I usually pull up and get out o the truck he whinnies and trot/canters to me. This day he only looked at me when I called his name. I went up to the barn and did some work and talk to BO and she told me that he wasn't done with breakfast yet (around noon by now). I brought him into the barn and he was breathing hard, he's a roarer but this was different, quicker and more labored. I felt his skin and he was HOT. When I fed beet pulp/grain for lunch he ate a little and just kinda played with it. So I put him on the wash rack and rinsed him off and it was just steamed off of him (it was about 75*F) I took his temp and it was about 105*F. I gave him some bute and rinsed him twice more. When I left he was ok and it's been 2-3 days (temp has dropped about 30* since then) and he's been perfectly fine since then.

What could have happened to him ? That morning my BO started feeding alfalfa cubes with breakfast and she said he may be allergic to it but he wasnt allergic to alfalfa hay when we used to feed it. BO has put him on antibiotics just incase.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
He could have bad a colic or choke or something else like being in bad pain from an injury.

It's a little concerning that your horse was acting oddly (not finishing is breakfast) and the BO didn't even look at him. Also, your BO is not a vet and really shouldn't just toss antibiotics at a horse. How does she even know antibiotics are appropriate and what the correct dosage is? She won't - she's not a vet and didn't call one.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Possible colic would be my first guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
A temp of 105 on my boy would have resulted in a call to the vet, especially if he wasn't finishing food and had labored breathing. Are you saying his temp has dropped to 75 degrees, or is that a typo? The normal range is usually around 93-101, but you should regularly temp your horse to get his "normal" temperature. If his temp is 75, that is definitely not normal.

I'm not sure what could have happened to him, but I would not be giving him antibiotics. If you don't know what's wrong with him, why would you be trying to treat him? Call your vet and see if they have any ideas, and if giving antibiotics is the right way to go. A call to the vet is usually free, a truly sick horse is not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Yogiwick

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My BO is a vet and did go look at him but he was not running a fever until the second time I went out to see him, way after she had checked him. She said he never laid down and wasn't biting his sides or anything that showed colic.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
She's a vet and she said because he wasn't biting his sides so he wasn't colicing? Out of all the colics I have seen I haven't really see any bite their sides and if they do it's just nudging at. Is she this horses usual vet?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
My BO is a vet and did go look at him but he was not running a fever until the second time I went out to see him, way after she had checked him. She said he never laid down and wasn't biting his sides or anything that showed colic.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know those are the typical signs, but a horse can have mild colic without biting or rolling, and it can stress them enough to run high fevers and become very lathargc. I've seen this a couple times and spring right back to normal after an hour with banamine.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I've seen a horse with a severe impaction (took several weeks to pass and horse was almost euthanized) whose only symptom, and only in the beginning, was wanting to lie down and acting tired.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
A 105 fever, labored breathing etc. I also would think colic.. but I have another question. Was he sweating? If he was having an episode of some sort and running a temperature that high and NOT sweating then that may be why his temperature went up.

Normal is 101 or so... and 105 IS up there. It is low enough that it could be stress (colic). Or it could be a bacterial infection (virus runs it higher). Bute could have knocked it back and the antibiotics if that is the problem.

I also lean toward colic.. but was he sweating? That might be important.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He was not sweating and he popped twice while I was with him. BO is his usual vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.