The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get Charlie Gelded and I am assuming both testies have to be present for that right? I have not checked them in a month so im not sure if the other one has dropped.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yes, they both need to have dropped, otherwise then it will require surgery. How old is Charlie?

·
Registered
476 Posts
You'll probably have to wait now til he's around a year or year and a half

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's a good question. My instinct says yes, but I really am not 100% sure. I have always kept colts seperated from the mares at about a year old, maybe a couple months beforehand.

May want to see who else responds to this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is with our mustang mare and I did notice yesterday that she urinated and he went over and urinated right where she did. I think I will separate them just to be safe I do not want any babies.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you noticed if he has been masterbating? That is a good sign that he is starting to become sexually mature.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
If both testicles are there, even if ONE is there, a horse is able to reproduce.

Personally, I don't like to keep any intact studs in with mares after 6 months of age unless I am hoping someone gets pregnant. And yes, in some cases they can reproduce that young.

Unless you are watching them 24/7/365 there is no way to know for sure that he hasn't already mounted her or if he will/will not mount her in the near future.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Also, you can geld them fairly early... all it takes if both testicles to be there. Pistol was gelded at 3.5 months...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys he's getting moved right now. He hasnt showed any signs of wanting to breed her, but like you mentioned im not out there all night long. I am a stay at home mom so im home all day and do spend a great part of my day out there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
even if his testicles haven't dropped, or if just one has, he is still quite capable of impregnating a mare. it's called cryptorchidism, and while it reduces their chance of conception, it doesn't eliminate it.

I would have a vet check your mare for pregnancy. you never know, and better safe than sorry!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.