The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time since I have had him, my gelding has a swollen sheath. Its only swollen on the one side. When he is relaxed or peeing, I can see his penis is clean and healthy. He has no pain when peeing and it is not difficult for him to go. His sheath is tender to touch and has crystallized urine on it and on his leg. He will NOT let me touch or clean it. He is in pain...
I tried cleaning him up with warm water, cool water my hand a washcloth. he will not let me near his sheath or urine covered leg. I will be calling the vet, any help in the meantime is appreciated
I can post a picture if need be

·
Registered
452 Posts
Pictures would be good hun if you wanting any advice =/ My fellow has had his sheath swell. One side. Both sides... Its always from being stalled. What do you mean by urine crystals on his leg and sheath? ..... I would think the urine would dry. I don't see how that would turn into crystals? Poor boy... Good thoughts coming his way from me! Please get some pics up so maybe someone can get an idea

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snout Close-up Canidae Mouth Jaw

He has yellow crystals on the top of his sheath where it meets his belly but not the bottom where it hangs. He also has them on the inside of his right leg. It looks almost like he peed on himself while sleeping and it crystallized or something.....

Its only the one side that is swollen....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Actually those yellow crystals make me think insect bite/skin reaction. I get those(not as much lol) when I scratch an insect bite so much it's opened. Or on top of draining poison ivy. I don't think thats urine. =/ Secound gentle cold hosing. I'd still have a vet out though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I took another look at him today. he has a cut on his inner thigh where it meets his sheath and he has had some sort of trauma to his sheath since I can see dried blood inside. The vet will be out to sedate and clean since he wont let anyone touch his sheath or leg. The yellow crystals are puss.....

Thanks SO much guys!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.