Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else here geocache?

It's basically where you plug some coordinates into a GPS and it will take you to a spot where somebody has hidden a container. Inside there is usually a "log" (piece of paper with signatures of those who have been there) and some other goodies. It's like a large-scale Easter egg hunt.

I just got into 'caching about three months ago, but I really enjoy it. It's a great excuse to travel without spending a ton of money, plus it's always refreshing to spend some time walking outdoors in good weather.

I've really been wanting to go geocaching on a horse. It probably won't ever happen, but I think that would be so much fun!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I do! The best one I found had beef jerky in it (very food motivated) :)
Quite a few caches around here are in the middle of nowhere and hadn't been found in years! As the grass and brush grows around them they become harder and harder to find, but still fun!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Anndankev- exactly like a giant scavenger hunt, with the world as the hunting area! There are no start and end times, its done at your own pace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's one big scavenger hunt! Some are easy, some are trickier. You can learn more about geocaching at the official website's Geocaching 101 page :)

I actually had some free time and a strong desire to procrastinate yesterday, so I picked up a couple of caches in my town. They were pretty easy, but still enjoyable. It's a great excuse for a mental health break during a busy day!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have actually been geocaching on horseback. It is really fun, I would just advise you to take someone with you so one of you can hold the horses and the other can get the cache! I highly recommend it though. My 11 year old sister and I found several on our morning hack :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds amazing! I would absolutely love to do that, but unfortunately most of the trails around here are on private property so I'm assuming that there aren't many caches to be found. One day, though...one day....it's on my bucket list, lol!

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds amazing! I would absolutely love to do that, but unfortunately most of the trails around here are on private property so I'm assuming that there aren't many caches to be found. One day, though...one day....it's on my bucket list, lol!
I definitely recommend it, it's awesome to do with a friend ;)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Don and I do it and are very competitive! Will do most anything to divert his attention as I zero in on the cache! Great fun and an other wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't yet tried geocaching from horseback, but I have HIDDEN a couple geocaches that are meant to be found from horseback! So far, they've only been found by folks on foot, from what I gather, but they're in a fairly horse-oriented community where my horse is boarded, and they're at a height where you can reach them from horseback, but it'd be a pain to reach them from the ground. :)

Anndankev--Geocaching in general isn't a specific event, as such, though some geocachers Do hold specific events. In general, it's a do-it-on-your-own event much like hiking or whatever. There's a website you can log into, and a phone app you can use, to find where there are geocaches near you. Then you navigate to it using the tools built into the phone app, or using a standalone GPS unit, and once you're in the vicinity, you switch over to using your eyeballs and your "geosenses" to locate the cache. It's usually a container of some sort with at least a log book inside, sometimes also a writing instrument, and sometimes little trinkets you can trade out. There are other types of caches, like Earth Caches (no physical cache--they're at a monument of some kind where you read the information and answer a quiz to prove you were there), puzzle caches (solve a puzzle presented online in order to get the real coordinates--the website has fake coordinates that are required to be near the actual cache so you at least know it's somewhat nearby before solving the puzzle and figuring out it's a thousand miles away or something), etc. It's a fun hobby, and can be as individualistic or group-oriented as you make it.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I have been wanting to try it, but I can't find anyone who wants to join me. Not giving up though, maybe eventually I'll find someone who wants to get out and have fun!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
For those interested, Here's a link to a geocaching forum and lots of information on the subject:

Groundspeak Forums

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been wanting to try it, but I can't find anyone who wants to join me. Not giving up though, maybe eventually I'll find someone who wants to get out and have fun!
You don't necessarily need to do it with someone! Though, it depends where you live, I guess...hiking up a mountain without using the buddy system isn't recommended, geocaching or not. But a lot of bigger cities have caches that are small enough that one person is the ideal number to try and find it! I started out caching with my boyfriend, but now I actually do it on my own (or if I'm with friends and near the vicinity of a cache, I drag them with me to look for it!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.