The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, see the picture below is my mare. Ever since I got her 5 years ago, her tail is everything from brown to orange from bottom to mid-length, and I have tried everything from horse shampoos for white horses to human purple shampoo (Obviously only in the lengths). Any ideas as to how to get it nice and white again?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
I've used in the past Blue Dawn or similar dish-washing soap as it cuts through grossness you have.
Also have heard that Tide liquid laundry detergent works wonders cutting the grime...
Lemon juice and peroxide sprayed on {not necessarily together} are also whiteners natural that can lighten stain intensity.
No matter what products you use, rinse, rinse and rinse again thoroughly all product from the hairs or you will just attract more to stick.
Seems your horse not move the tail far enough away when urinating or defecating if the coloration is not from the top down throughout but only partially where excrement is arriving in proximity..
Maybe once you de-stain you can loosely braid or bag to reduce the surface amount of area to get stained.:unsure:
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen some people use Ketchup lol. What I have done is use a tail bag, which are pretty easy to find, and after a while the tail gets clean and stays that way, it also gets really silky and smooth.

Reactions: rose17

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now, I don’t know if I’d necessarily recommend this. But years ago, my knows-everything-under-the-sun-about-horses used to actually use Clorox on her Arab’s white tail. The trick was to hold his tail away from his body until he was very well rinsed. Well, it worked anyways

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now, I don’t know if I’d necessarily recommend this. But years ago, my knows-everything-under-the-sun-about-horses used to actually use Clorox on her Arab’s white tail. The trick was to hold his tail away from his body until he was very well rinsed. Well, it worked anyways

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Try Oxiclean solution. You may have to do several go arounds but it gets out organic stains. The powdered stuff is the cheapest, mix with water. As suggested above, keep clean tail in a tailbag.

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
White vinegar. This is what we use. You shampoo the tail first, then rinse. Do this until the water runs clear (you may have to shampoo more than once). Then soak - and I mean, dunk it in a bucket of white vinegar (you'll need to buy a big jug of it). Leave it on 5 minutes. Then rinse. We have gotten great results doing this with our Arab's white tail before a show. And it's far less harsh than bleach!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts