The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So i have a Tobiano Horse Marshmellow, and since his pen has turned from grass, to mud, he is harder to keep clean, literally.
I can never get his white fur to go completely white and there is always some kind of smudge of dirt lol.
its actually driving me abit mad.
so with everyone who owns paints or white horses, or light colored horses.
Please help :)
I like my horses staying clean lol, even though that wont be possible until i can pasture off some more for them and smooth out the ground and plant seeds for new grass lol !
But any quick things as i dont want to be constantly washing them ?

Also, I heard of using baby oil on horses, to add extra shine.. does this affect the horse any other way. i dont want them to get sick if they do so as ingest it at all, which i dont think would happen but does it work ? Opinions ?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I wouldn't go overboard with baby oil!!! It makes them super slippery and they also get really hot in the sun and can get burnt.
As for keeping white horses white... good luck!! It's difficult if they're kept paddocked, but if you just make sure you scrub off stains as they happen you can keep them a bit cleaner. Don't do an all over wash because it's bad for their skin and you'll lose shine, but just 'spot' wash the stains. Also keep him rugged head to toe if you're that desperate to keep him white. If he's in mud at the moment, you're not going to be able to keep him totally clean, he'll get it under his belly, face and up his legs. There's not much you can do in that case other than wait till the mud dries out and wash it all off!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cowboy Magic Yellow Out works really well. For shows, most people trim their horses white legs and/or use baby powder or chalk to really make them white. But that's not practical for every day use.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Hello,

Also, I heard of using baby oil on horses, to add extra shine.. does this affect the horse any other way. i dont want them to get sick if they do so as ingest it at all, which i dont think would happen but does it work ? Opinions ?
Baby oil attracts dirt and clogs pores. When used for a shine at a show, it is washed off after the class.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions i will definitally keep them in mind, and yeah i wouldnt think of using baby oil too much.
Yeah Keeping them in a paddock which they overturned all the grass to mud is alot more difficult, i cannot wait until we can pasture off some more :)
my arms get so sore grooming them to keep them clean lol

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
If you have a 'mud baby' like our almost all white Paint, Lady, it's just about impossible...if it's not mud, it's green grass stains.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a 'mud baby' like our almost all white Paint, Lady, it's just about impossible...if it's not mud, it's green grass stains.

Lol Yup, Its definitally close to impossible getting them spotless, or else my arm feels like its about to fall off lol !

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Lol Yup, Its definitally close to impossible getting them spotless, or else my arm feels like its about to fall off lol !
BTW, keep in mind that being dirty is not all bad, at least in the summer...being covered in dirt/mud is a way horses use to keep the bugs from biting.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Part of the fun of owning a white based horse. You spend hours getting him clean and he does this to thank you...

I've given up. I brush him and if he's not sparkling white, oh well.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Part of the fun of owning a white based horse. You spend hours getting him clean and he does this to thank you...

I've given up. I brush him and if he's not sparkling white, oh well.
Me, too...

Nice and clean...

Normal..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I don't know if you want to go this route, but its always an option...
My pasture mate owns a carriage business. She does weddings. She uses a PURE white percheron. I'm tellin ya, it doesn't get any whiter than that horse. I look at him and all I can think is "Cinderella Horse!"
Her secret?
Bathing him, letting him dry tied. And keeping a fly blanket on him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a tovairo paint-- He is a beuty clean or muddy-- I have come to accept that it is impossible to keep him clean-- his turn out is 3 acres! I mean after all I have to let him be a horse!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

Get yourself one of these, put in on "flat" and make sure you have some decently high pressure water flow. Angle the spray about 45 degrees from your horse, and working in the direction of the coat hold the sprayer quite close so it penetrates the coat, "bounces" off of him and shoots the water/dirt mix away.
The reason that white horses look dirty s because there is no pigment (it's not the right colour) that will hide the dirt lying next to the skin, under the hair, whereas brown horses will, or they'll just look a little dusty if there's a lot. So shampooing is not going to get rid of this as effectively as "pressure washing" it out with just water. Then for stained hair, use a shampoo with blueing in it (Quic Silver I find is the best! That cowboy magic stuff does not work nearly as well for double the price).
Think about it, if you rolled your head and hair around in the dirt until it was good and worked into your scalp and then without hopping in the shower just wet your hair in the sink, shampooed and rinsed, your scalp would still be dirty. You need the shower head to deep clean your scalp, just like the horse needs over their entire body.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Great post, Anebel! I do that all the time with my black and white Paint. I don't really worry about keeping her too clean. She is naturally a cleaner horse, but when her white does get dirty, I find the contrasting black makes her white look really white, lol. Sure, I bath her when I'm up to it, or if I have any big plans to show her off, but she's a horse, I'm sure she's dirty for a reason.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the posts everyone :)
Wonderful Post especially Anebel and backinthesaddleagain.
I would go with that route BITSA but, how long do you think the drying time would be, have him tied for along period.... yeah you know lol i dont want to have him tied for along period, but it does seem like a really good idea.
Anebel, At our house we dont have very high pressure in our hoses, so getting a hose cap... wouldnt really do much good..

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
just blanket them. cool koats when its warm are great, and winter blankets when its cold is great,too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts