The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know.. I am getting a AQHA mare on Sunday :D high level reining + western pleasure, some barrels.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right spot.. but I am wondering what should I do with her on sunday right when I get her?
Should I just let her loose in her pasture to get used to it, or brush her, lead her around, lunge etc?
I want her to feel comfortable, and not sure what I should do to make her comfortable :)

Thank You!

PS: Winter Riding? She has to have shoes on all year round, and it makes it slippery for her when on snow... Lunging, riding, trails.. should I just walk her? Outdoor arena I would use for lunging and riding, and it will be full of snow most of winter.. Just want to know what would be best, i dont want her getting hurt.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd try to put her in the pasture and just hang around.
She might get curious and go check on you :)

Try to perhaps give her a few days off to just get used to everything!

Also CONGRATULATIONS!!
You must be VERY excited :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Depending on the fencing.... if you have wire, like I do, I walk new horses around the perimeter both directions so they know their boundaries, then let them chill out. If that's not possible for some reason, I'll put them in the round pen for a few hours to acclimate. I ride 1st full day home. Whatever you choose - good luck, congrats, and post some pics ;)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
do what you feel like, there is no wrong thing to do with her.

I agree with walking the fence with her just to help her get the layout and have a little time to just quietly walk with her as she checks out her new digs. Then groom her, feed her, spend some bonding time and turn her out and just watch her, maybe walk around in the pasture as she gets used to it.

Why does she have to have shoes all year? Does she have foot problems?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Me personally, I would probably ride her. Maybe take a nice ride around the perimeter. I am lazy enough that I don't want to walk any farther than I absolutely have to. But that may just be me. Since she has been shown, it shouldn't take her very long at all to adjust to the new surroundings.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Finally! I'm happy for you - it's a real thrill when a new horse comes off the trailer.

Depending on what time of the day a new horse get to my place, I like to keep them up in the paddock. I want a horse to be able to see where everything is which is and if he gets to the farm late in the day I have concerns about that. I let them out to the pasture on the second day when they have gotten a little more comfortable.

I never ride a new horse the first day - usually not until the 2nd or 3rd day. As for shoes in the winter, what I used to do when I lived in PA was to have borium welded to their shoes for the traction. We trail rode all year long and the borium prevented them from slipping on the trail.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd try to put her in the pasture and just hang around.
She might get curious and go check on you :)

Try to perhaps give her a few days off to just get used to everything!

Also CONGRATULATIONS!!
You must be VERY excited :grin:
Thanks, she will be getting at least 6days off, as I wont be getting a saddle until then, if I do get one for xmas :) I am very excited!! :D

Depending on the fencing.... if you have wire, like I do, I walk new horses around the perimeter both directions so they know their boundaries, then let them chill out. If that's not possible for some reason, I'll put them in the round pen for a few hours to acclimate. I ride 1st full day home. Whatever you choose - good luck, congrats, and post some pics ;)
I forget what type of fencing they have where we are boarding, but I think it might be wire + wood.? I think thats a good idea to walk her around, maybe show her where the water trough is, shelter, etc. And then let her wander around herself, while I watch and take pictures! :D hehe
Thank You!

do what you feel like, there is no wrong thing to do with her.

I agree with walking the fence with her just to help her get the layout and have a little time to just quietly walk with her as she checks out her new digs. Then groom her, feed her, spend some bonding time and turn her out and just watch her, maybe walk around in the pasture as she gets used to it.

Why does she have to have shoes all year? Does she have foot problems?
I like that idea alot! I could bring my grooming box out to the pasture, so i can brush her, while we get to know each other, and she can look around while still feeling comfortable :)

She has to have shoes all year, b/c she has a split down one of her front hooves, its an old injury, but she needs shoes on the support it, and regular trimming.. She doesnt need shoes on her backs all the time, but her fronts need it for sure.

Me personally, I would probably ride her. Maybe take a nice ride around the perimeter. I am lazy enough that I don't want to walk any farther than I absolutely have to. But that may just be me. Since she has been shown, it shouldn't take her very long at all to adjust to the new surroundings.
I can't ride her until I get my saddle anyways, but the field isnt that big, its just a small field to start with, and once she gets used to all the horses, surroundings.. they will move her to a big pasture.

Finally! I'm happy for you - it's a real thrill when a new horse comes off the trailer.

Depending on what time of the day a new horse get to my place, I like to keep them up in the paddock. I want a horse to be able to see where everything is which is and if he gets to the farm late in the day I have concerns about that. I let them out to the pasture on the second day when they have gotten a little more comfortable.

I never ride a new horse the first day - usually not until the 2nd or 3rd day. As for shoes in the winter, what I used to do when I lived in PA was to have borium welded to their shoes for the traction. We trail rode all year long and the borium prevented them from slipping on the trail.
Thank You! correction. "its a real thrill when A horse comes off a trailer!| hehehe

She will be arriving in the afternoon. Is a borium sort of like rubber tubing? that is what our trainer recommended. Thanks a bundle!! :D

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Borium is a metal that is welded on to a horse's shoe. It's is specifically used for traction and it's put on in 4 balls around the shoe. Works great.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
First congrats. Always fun getting a new horse.

I personally do not put a new horse out into the pasture. They go into their stalls to get use to the people around. Then the next morning they go out into their pasture. Let them see what is up with the fencing. I do not tend to walk the fence with them as I have RAMM fencing and it is highly visible so not a problem there.

Past like others have said. Give them a bit to settle in and then just ride depending on the weather.

Also if this mare is already a high level reiner they should be use to being in their stall and moving from place to place so that should not be to much of an issue. Also why is it that the horse needs their shoes on??? All my reiners get their shoes pulled this time of year unless I have access daily to an indoor to ride then the horses are not really turned out too much. Sliders and snow = big trouble.

Anyway. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I wouldn't ride her the first day. She's going to be stressed out as it is.

CONGRATS!!!!ahh I'm so excited for you. She's absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts

I personally do not put a new horse out into the pasture. They go into their stalls to get use to the people around. Then the next morning they go out into their pasture. Let them see what is up with the fencing. I do not tend to walk the fence with them as I have RAMM fencing and it is highly visible so not a problem there.

Past like others have said. Give them a bit to settle in and then just ride depending on the weather.

Also if this mare is already a high level reiner they should be use to being in their stall and moving from place to place so that should not be to much of an issue. Also why is it that the horse needs their shoes on??? All my reiners get their shoes pulled this time of year unless I have access daily to an indoor to ride then the horses are not really turned out too much. Sliders and snow = big trouble.

She has to have shoes due to an old injury on one of her front hooves.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Some times shoes make some type of injuries worse. Can not say as I have not seem it but I know some horses have foot injuries and people leave shoes on and it keeps the foot from healing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
my horse also needs shoes on the front, due to a hoof problem.
during the winter, its extremely icy but i continue to ride 5 days a week bc my barn has a indoor. what i do is i have my farrier put shoes on all 4 feet with rubber snow pads and studs on all 4.

id put her in her stall for the night, let her be so she gets used to her new buddies and barn, and turn her out in the morning and brush her and handwalk or whatever you want to do

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Borium is a metal that is welded on to a horse's shoe. It's is specifically used for traction and it's put on in 4 balls around the shoe. Works great.
Oh okay, I think we will stick to the rubber tubing though, as our trainer recommended it, and the people with my horse use it too :)

Thank you :D
There are no stalls at the place I am boarding,so that wouldnt work. I stated before that she needs her shoes on, b/c of an old injury to her hoof. She doesnt wear sliding shoes at the moment, as she is not being showed for a while.

Ya I never keep shoes on in this weather but congrats!!!
She has to wear them, thanks! :)

I wouldn't ride her the first day. She's going to be stressed out as it is.

CONGRATS!!!!ahh I'm so excited for you. She's absolutely gorgeous!
I agree, I wont be riding her for at least 6 days :] Thanks so much!! Less than one day away :D

Some times shoes make some type of injuries worse. Can not say as I have not seem it but I know some horses have foot injuries and people leave shoes on and it keeps the foot from healing.
No, she HAS to wear shoes, the vet stated that. If you take them off, it will all go down hill, and could possibly go lame.
She has a split down her hoof, and the vet said that it will always be there for life.

my horse also needs shoes on the front, due to a hoof problem.
during the winter, its extremely icy but i continue to ride 5 days a week bc my barn has a indoor. what i do is i have my farrier put shoes on all 4 feet with rubber snow pads and studs on all 4.

id put her in her stall for the night, let her be so she gets used to her new buddies and barn, and turn her out in the morning and brush her and handwalk or whatever you want to do
Thank you, we dont have a stall, so I will just bring her to the pasture right away, walk her around, brush her etc. :)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
No, she HAS to wear shoes, the vet stated that. If you take them off, it will all go down hill, and could possibly go lame.
She has a split down her hoof, and the vet said that it will always be there for life.
Not trying to start an argument - But the hoof is continually growing - So unless her coronary band is permanently damaged, the crack should NOT be there forever. With good hoof management it should be growing out. It might be worth talking to a good trimmer - Sometimes vet's don't know much about the mechanics of the hoof and advocate 'chuckign shoes on 'er" because it is the only solution they know of.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, It WILL be there for life, and there is no healing. We know for a fact that her shoes must be left on, or else it will make her lame. whats the point in taking a risk and taking shoes off, when she is perfectly fine with them on?
Anyways, back on topic...as I wasnt asking for advice about her shoeing, as I know what she needs..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont have her yet... lol, we are getting her tommorow, and I will get pics then. Might not put them up here until Monday though :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts