The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently have been having some severe problems at the mounting block with my OTTB Pepper. He has never been great with mounting but it has defiantly been getting worse. When I bring him to the mounting block he is fine. Then I go to get on everything goes wrong. I tighten up my reins and place pressure on the outside one yet he either circles or goes forward. Another problem I have is when I have my foot in the stirrup he will start to move leading me to either hold on until he stops or awkwardly jump down. If anyone has any tips please let me know!
Just a side note once I'm on he's completely fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My horse had the same issue, so I hope this method might work for you. I would try making him stand at the mounting block with a halter and lead rope on. When he wants to move off, lunge him in both directions a few rotations, then place him back at the block. Rinse repeat, eventually he will learn he can rest at the mounting block, and walking off means work. Remember not to punish him, and not be aggressive or act angry. Keep it relaxed, make him trot, or canter a few circles, then put him back.
Same goes for the walking off when you put a foot in. When he starts to walk off, hop down, grab your flag/whip, and lunge him.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My horse had the same issue, so I hope this method might work for you. I would try making him stand at the mounting block with a halter and lead rope on. When he wants to move off, lunge him in both directions a few rotations, then place him back at the block. Rinse repeat, eventually he will learn he can rest at the mounting block, and walking off means work. Remember not to punish him, and not be aggressive or act angry. Keep it relaxed, make him trot, or canter a few circles, then put him back.
Same goes for the walking off when you put a foot in. When he starts to walk off, hop down, grab your flag/whip, and lunge him.

Hope this helps!
thankyou! this is very helpful I will try this!

·
Premium Member
8,498 Posts
I prefer a different approach, because I think if you start sending horses into motion from the mounting block, many will start thinking about movement.
I would like them to think about standing still.

What I do is plan several sessions where I'm not going to ride. First all I do is put a foot in the stirrup, take it out. Over and over. If the horse moves, I bring him back. Each time he stands for my foot in and out, he gets a treat or praise.

Next I stand in the stirrup, and get down. Same thing with bringing the horse back and only rewarding standing. Then swing a leg over, get back off. Over and over. So the whole session is only about learning to stand for mounting and rewarding the stand.

If you want the horse to retain this training, make a habit of standing for at least 30 seconds every time after you get on. If you walk them right away, they will think that is what you want and anticipate, which leads to walking off before you're in the saddle.

I have my horses trained to wait for my seat to hit the saddle, then walk off. But I like to get riding, and can put my stirrups on while in motion. When training for others I make horses stand and pretend I am adjusting my stirrups, clothes, taking a drink, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer a different approach, because I think if you start sending horses into motion from the mounting block, many will start thinking about movement.
I would like them to think about standing still.

What I do is plan several sessions where I'm not going to ride. First all I do is put a foot in the stirrup, take it out. Over and over. If the horse moves, I bring him back. Each time he stands for my foot in and out, he gets a treat or praise.

Next I stand in the stirrup, and get down. Same thing with bringing the horse back and only rewarding standing. Then swing a leg over, get back off. Over and over. So the whole session is only about learning to stand for mounting and rewarding the stand.

If you want the horse to retain this training, make a habit of standing for at least 30 seconds every time after you get on. If you walk them right away, they will think that is what you want and anticipate, which leads to walking off before you're in the saddle.

I have my horses trained to wait for my seat to hit the saddle, then walk off. But I like to get riding, and can put my stirrups on while in motion. When training for others I make horses stand and pretend I am adjusting my stirrups, clothes, taking a drink, etc.
The other one is working so far but if it stops I will try this thankyou

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Hi I recommend searching for threads here on Horse Forum. There was one not too long ago (a few months maybe?) that got really long and had LOTS of great ideas.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
12,585 Posts
I recommend not only a trainer to help you but to also resolve the leg issue and not picking up his feet (in the other thread) FIRST.

IMHO, You are losing control with a horse whose gene pool is used to being very forward in the first place🤠

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I recently have been having some severe problems at the mounting block with my OTTB Pepper. He has never been great with mounting but it has defiantly been getting worse. When I bring him to the mounting block he is fine. Then I go to get on everything goes wrong. I tighten up my reins and place pressure on the outside one yet he either circles or goes forward. Another problem I have is when I have my foot in the stirrup he will start to move leading me to either hold on until he stops or awkwardly jump down. If anyone has any tips please let me know!
Just a side note once I'm on he's completely fine.
You, need to find the cause why the horse is not standing. There can be many reasons. from poor saddle fit, to briddle, to your hands and seat. Look for the cause and fix that first. Just saying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts