The Horse Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
xlionesss - I'm in Henrico. The area I'm at is very suburban - I couldn't go anywhere in my riding clothes!! But you just drive like 30 mins in one of two ways and you hit the rural areas. Let me know if you know of anybody.

ACTUALLYY, lucky for you you are quite close to many horse activities! I'm about 30 minutes from you. Where do you take lessons at if you don't mind me asking?

Well, for what it's worth, anytime you want to come out to my place I'll give you a horse 101 session and teach you everything I know! LOL
I'm board my two in Chesterfield.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Check bulletin boards at the feed stores and tack/clothing stores out in the rural areas you visit- you'll find notices about upcoming shows and clinics that may peak your interest. The clinics may charge to watch, but you can go watch a show for free! Just keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
xlionesss - Really? Yay! I go to "The Pines", it's down in Ashland. I think I'll go ahead and PM you! :) Oh my gosh that would be awesome!! I would love that.. Just have to talk to my mom and convince her that really, it's okay to go meet with someone I met online.. lol. Seeing that you've been around for a while I wouldn't doubt your intentions but I can see it would seem weird to my mom.

Thanks for the othe responses! I will definitely start doing some research and check out what is around me..

·
Registered
878 Posts
xlionesss - Really? Yay! I go to "The Pines", it's down in Ashland. I think I'll go ahead and PM you! :) Oh my gosh that would be awesome!! I would love that.. Just have to talk to my mom and convince her that really, it's okay to go meet with someone I met online.. lol. Seeing that you've been around for a while I wouldn't doubt your intentions but I can see it would seem weird to my mom.

Thanks for the othe responses! I will definitely start doing some research and check out what is around me..

It also might help I'm 19 LOL not 60

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lots and lots of reading and learning as I rode more.it comes with time and youll always be learning something new

·
Registered
16 Posts
veterinary self help books and breed magazines (APHA, AQHA, ApHC), and hanging around the barn when the vet and farrier came around, and helping with stalls and feeding once in a while... at least, that's how I learned :)
and reading... anything and everything you can find, and watch training videos too

·
Registered
635 Posts
I learned most of what I know by volunteering at the barn I was taking lessons at, asking questions, reading as much as possible, and essentially watching anyone with more experience than I had. That includes watching vets, farriers, trainers, etc to soak up as much as I could. If I saw someone body clipping a horse, I'd ask them every question about body clipping that popped in my mind. I'm 25yrs old now and I'm still the same way. I jump at opportunities to watch a vet work on a horse or more experienced riders school a horse. There is so much to learn. I'm constantly reading, watching, and asking questions. :)

Reactions: mcfarawayland
21 - 28 of 28 Posts