The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 9 year old 17hh off the track thoroughbred. He used to have a tendon injury long ago in his right front leg and I am retraining him but would like to take it slow so he learns as well as becomes physically fit enough to not get injured again. He is not fat but he also is not muscular right now. I am boarding him through December, January, and February at a facility with an indoor. It is a 60x120 ft arena. I will be able to get there hopefully 4 times a week.

Could you guys please give me an example of an exercise/training regimen for him?

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare

·
Super Moderator
10,238 Posts
Walk and slow trotting to start. Start with mostly walking, of course, and build up the trotting time from there. By the time your horse is walking 15 minutes, trotting 20 or 30, and cooling down within 10 or 15 without evidence of tendon problems, you should be a bit more confident of his soundness.

I hope he does well for you. Good looking horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a good start? He does not have much training so I am trying to stick with simple but yet he can learn from each of these. Let me know if you disagree with any of it and help me out on editing it for him.

Bodacious Bodie Training/Fitness Schedule

First Week:
• 45 minutes walking with random stops, changes of direction, circles, and over poles
• Stretch when done
Second Week:
• 20 minutes walking (left)
• 5 minutes trotting (left)
• 20 minutes walking (right)
• 5 minutes trotting (right)
• 15 minute cool down
• Stretch when done
Third Week:
• 4 minutes walking
• 2 minutes trotting
• Repeat 6 times
• 15 minute cool down
• Stretch when done
Fourth Week:
• Start working in circles
• Walk 2 minutes
• Trot 4 minutes
• Repeat 6 times each direction
• 15 minute cool down
• Stretch when done
 Twice this week walk 15 minutes, trot 25 minutes, 10 minute cool down, then stretch
Fifth Week:
• Transitions
o Walk short ends, trot long ends
• Transitions
o Walk, stop, trot (changing it up randomly)
• Trot in medium circles 15 minutes each direction
• 2 minute walk break between directions
• 15 minute cool down
• Stretch when done

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.