The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
With our new show horses we always simulate the shows as they are for us.

I ride TWH, but the principle is the same.

I enter the ring, go right at a flat walk allowing time for the horse ahead of me to go through and have space between us, we ride around, change gaits, switch reins and do it again. We line up in the center side by side, back up then go back forwards. We ride up and accept ribbons and ride around with them on the bridle while whomever we can get into the arena claps for us lol.

I have seen some horses never accept a ribbon before and be absolutely terrified of the horse eating ribbons.

Other advice, put your horse in 'In Hand' classes to start with if possible, it is always nice to bring them in that morning in a class environment and get them used to everything. Stall your horse ahead of time and the next mornings ride them so they learn that being stalled doesnt mean acting crazy etc. Pracitce riding past horses, away from horses, up to horses etc...anything you can think of that you might come across in a show. I set up a trail course at home just to help desensitize her -got to our first show and she was a brat in her Model class, but after that I got no bad behaviour from her.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.