The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13,068 Posts
The tour provided horses. But you can go on the trails on your own with your own horse. You don't have to be part of a tour.
Thank you!🤠.

I have friends on the OH/PA border who still ride, this may interest them, even though it’s on the other side of the state😀😀

· Registered
1,616 Posts
I would love to do the tour on horseback. I've been to the battlefield and visited it and I swear I had been there. Many places gave me goose bumps. And the cemetery on Cemetery Ridge is especially moving. I'm a Civil War buff and many of my ancestors fought in it. I already knew what happened each day and the Generals involved in the battle. I loved the theater with the map of the area in the middle and the speech given by the Ranger of each days Battles.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love to do the tour on horseback. I've been to the battlefield and visited it and I swear I had been there. Many places gave me goose bumps. And the cemetery on Cemetery Ridge is especially moving. I'm a Civil War buff and many of my ancestors fought in it. I already knew what happened each day and the Generals involved in the battle. I loved the theater with the map of the area in the middle and the speech given by the Ranger of each days Battles.
I must say the tour and perspective are unique from horseback. Seeing parts of the area up close mounted is pretty cool, compared to passing by in a car or the side of the road. It makes you feel like Gen. Pickett surveying the field riding around. If you can add it to your bucket list... I highly recommend it..

· Premium Member
51,781 Posts
very cool! I mean you can't really feel the terrain from a car, and the layout of the terrain is EVERYTHING in battle. How the hills influence attack or defend, sightlines that are based on what you can see from a horses back, etc.
I saw that area once, rather hurredly in a late autumn day , rushed due to needing to get home before a snowstorm. years ago.

· Registered
268 Posts
My husband and I took that same tour a few years ago. It was wonderful and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the park. I think there are a few stables that do this, or there used to be. But it looks like we probably used the same group that you did. Its so great to see parts of the park that you won't see on any other type of tour. Ours was cut a little short when we got caught in a rain storm but even that was fun and a great memory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts