The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it seems like a lot of people like the GreenGaurd (GG), but it seems a little on the pricey side - and that's without the "special" halter. I also know that people like the Tough-1 EZ Breathe - EZ on the pocketbook, too. The GG company (of course) says that having only one middle hole is bad, that it is really heavy, gets really hot in the summer, rubs more, and sucks up water when the horse's drink. :/ GG company says that more, smaller holes are better, and the lightweight, large, plastic (?) basket helps reduce weight, keep the horse cooler, reduces rubs, and does not absorb water when the horse drinks. So... For those who use EZ Breathe vs. GG, have you found these to be true or are they just marketing scare tactics? $100 (+35 for "special" halter) vs. $30. hmmm

What to do...?

P.S.

If I do use GG, can I just use a "regular" breakaway or does it have to be theirs? I can't tell a difference besides that middle-head strap. Is that REALLY necessary or...?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Two horses in my barn are using a grazing muzzle. One in a GG (mine, so I am probably a bit biased) and the other is going back and forth between a Shires and an EZ breathe. We live in MS, so heat and humidity are a definite factor.

GreenGuard:
Yes, it is pricey and looks ridiculous, no argument there!
It works well with a regular breakaway halter. The only modification I would suggest is securing/centering the front strap to the noseband of the halter. I didn't do it initially and my mare somehow managed to get her jaw stuck in a corner. Some string from a feedbag is working well and doesn't induce any rubs.

It seems to be very durable - a whole season of daily (sometimes day and night use) in very varied pasture and it is still going strong. And it def works with slowing grass intake down, without frustrating the horse (once they learn how to eat). Interesting point: my mare NEVER sticks her head in a halter - except the one with the muzzle - so it can't be too uncomfortable.
Never had any rubs and (knock on wood), she didn't manage to get it off.
Easy to clean, dries quickly, and the heaviest part is the halter.

The Tough-1 one had a much bigger hole in the middle within a few days of use. Granted the horse wearing it is not gentle with it, but I don't think my horse is any gentler with hers. The true negatives for me are in summer, when it is hot and humid. The horse starts blowing the moment its on and often just looks miserably hot. In addition, now that we have good amounts of dew, the muzzle gets wet and heavy - the same is true after playing in the pond and drinking. It takes a while to dry and I am worried about mold (hence the rotation). And maybe it is coincidence, but I have treated several muzzle-rubs with the Tough-1 and Shire's one...

It really sounds like I drank Greenguard's KoolAid :shock: But in my personal experience (one horse each), it outperforms the Tough-1 hands down... Is it 3x better to justify the price? :shrug: But if this one bites the dust, I will replace it with a GG again...

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
I know nothing about the GG one but have had interaction with a horse who wore a EZ breathe one.

So, first off there are at least 2 styles that I know of.
The one my comment is about is this one..

As you can see, this style has large nostril openings so easy air exchange for cooling is able to take place.
A "hard" base and many openings so the horse can easily immerse their face into water bucket, trough or pond and get a refreshing drink as needed.
A hole decently sized to slow the horses amount eaten but not starve the animal either.
The extra support strap that shapes the "V" gives the basket stabilization to reduce skin rubs, chance of getting caught on something and injuring the face in a pull-back and most importantly getting the muzzle off.
It has a "halter" design so no halter is needed worn, in fact you can use this muzzle to lead your horse with as designed.
My friend had a IR Paso who lived in a field, that was his home.
He wore the muzzle unless he came to my property and went in my barn or dirt sacrifice area...then he was naked.
He went from being sore and laminitic, grossly overweight to slimming down to a acceptable weight and because he could no longer gorge he also was no longer sore.
This was a life-saver for this horse...to my knowledge it is now 4 years he wears it.{horse was sold to new owners who continue to use the muzzle}
It had held up well with little issues during the 2 years the horse lived partly at my home, partly my neighbors as we share pasture and those horses are invited to my home and mine go to the neighbors.
They do come in different sizes so measuring for correct fit is needed or it will not offer/do what you need.
Prices can vary greatly too. I know https://www.chicksaddlery.com/tough-1-easy-breathe-v-grazing-muzzle has them starting at $29.49 , but there are other businesses who had a better price but I can't remember who it is and remember, shipping charges add to cost too.
Happy shopping.
:runninghorse2:...

Reactions: Wumbo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. I have decided on the Tough-1 EZ Breath for my easy-keeper (fat chonker). The GG seems like it has too many/too large holes. How does the measurements work? I can't seem to find the guide anywhere. Maybe I'm just blind? My horse wears a cob or a very adjusted horse. Do they run large, small, or "normal"? What size would you recommend?

Also, how well do they stay on? How do you keep them on? I've never used a grazing muzzle before, but I have used fly masks, and my horse loses them (I can never find them again) like crazy. It's gotten to the point where I don't turn out in fly masks anymore because $$$.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My fat mare wears an EZ breathe 24/7. It comes off for a few minutes a day while she eats breakfast (a little bit of ration balancer). I put 5 little alfalfa pellets in it beside her feed bucket, and she happily sticks her nose back in it every morning. We live in Louisiana, so everything is wet. I haven't had any problem with mold or rubs, and this horse has very sensitive skin.

As far as sizing goes, they are very adjustable. My 14.2 QH can wear a regular horse or large horse. The large fits her better, but she has a big head. My Paint and Arabian fit in the regular horse better. To make it harder to get off, adjust the cheek pieces a little longer and keep the throat latch short.

After a while, (months of wear for me), the hole will get bigger. I use that to my advantage. In the early spring, when I need to transition into the muzzle, I use the old one with a bigger hole. When the grass starts coming in more, I switch to a new muzzle with a small hole again. My fat mare may wear the old muzzle with a big hole most of this winter. She can have all the dead grass she wants, but getting hay out of the net will be harder. (note: we're in Louisiana, so no snow)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fat mare wears an EZ breathe 24/7. It comes off for a few minutes a day while she eats breakfast (a little bit of ration balancer). I put 5 little alfalfa pellets in it beside her feed bucket, and she happily sticks her nose back in it every morning. We live in Louisiana, so everything is wet. I haven't had any problem with mold or rubs, and this horse has very sensitive skin.

As far as sizing goes, they are very adjustable. My 14.2 QH can wear a regular horse or large horse. The large fits her better, but she has a big head. My Paint and Arabian fit in the regular horse better. To make it harder to get off, adjust the cheek pieces a little longer and keep the throat latch short.

After a while, (months of wear for me), the hole will get bigger. I use that to my advantage. In the early spring, when I need to transition into the muzzle, I use the old one with a bigger hole. When the grass starts coming in more, I switch to a new muzzle with a small hole again. My fat mare may wear the old muzzle with a big hole most of this winter. She can have all the dead grass she wants, but getting hay out of the net will be harder. (note: we're in Louisiana, so no snow)
Did you have to "train" her to eat or did she figure it out? How long did it take? I have heard to poke a carrot or something through the hole and they'll quickly learn, but I have also heard that there a some horses that never learn?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Did you have to "train" her to eat or did she figure it out? How long did it take? I have heard to poke a carrot or something through the hole and they'll quickly learn, but I have also heard that there a some horses that never learn?

I started out just putting the muzzle on for an hour or so each day. After a few days of that, I went to take it off and found her on the far end of the pasture grazing happily with the other horses. That's when I quickly moved to several hours a day, about 12 hours a day, and then 24/7. She's very food motivated, so she figured it out quickly. However, it is possible that she had worn a grazing muzzle with her previous owner. I have no way of knowing that.

It is pretty easy to feed small treats through the hole. That may help them learn to eat with it, and it can also make wearing the muzzle a positive thing. Sunny almost always gets a treat when I put her muzzle on, even though it's often a tiny bite of alfalfa. She's down about 110 pounds from her heaviest, but I still can't find ribs :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
The horse I had contact with wearing this pouted and sulked for about a day because he no longer could gorge himself.
When he realized dirty looks at us were not removing it he quickly figured out how to eat more than enough to keep him a happy, healthy weight.
He learned to drink from it about 3 hours after his first association with the thing...as first he was tentative then pushed it into the trough and had his deep drink like always...as he raised his head all the water spilled out with no problem...in fact he was caught on a camera blowing bubbles with his muzzle on having fun as he always did in the trough so nothing detrimental to the animal did we detect occurring.

This is what we used to size the Easy Breathe"V" muzzle for the horse, and yes there are ample adjustment in sizing.
Large Horse size - approximately 29" in circumference and 7" deep.
Horse size - approximately 28" in circumference and 6" deep.
Yearling/Cob size - approximately 23" in circumference 5" deep.
Pony size - approximately 22" in circumference 5" deep.
Miniature size - approximately 21" in circumference and 5" deep.

We measured where the top of the muzzle would sit for circumference of the muzzle top edge...and give your self 1/4 - 1/2" of room on the basket bottom from touching so the muzzle is not constantly touching on sensitive feelers. Not to low off the muzzle either or they can have difficulty eating and get out of the thing from straps being loosely adjusted...
A happy balance to find & not difficult to do... :smile:

We also discovered grass about 6" - 7" long was best for our guy to eat easily. He learned quick how to thread the grass through the basket bottom hole and eat his fill as he needed without the gorge taking place.
If the grass is to long it bends over and is more difficult to get through the opening, to short and he could not grab with his teeth because the basket is in place doing what it is designed to do...slow them down.:cool:

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. The muzzle came.

Since she is not "medically" overweight, I might wait until 2021 to start. She looks winter ready, but she looks winter ready all year round. oof. Maybe she'll burn off some of the fat this winter? I will definitely muzzle in the 2021 spring, though.

I can't remember: Is the grass higher or lower in sugar/starch in the early morning/late night? Basically, am I doing a day-on/night-off or a day-off/night-on with the muzzle? I live 5 min. away so I can on/off as often as needed.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Isn't the most damaging when dew forms?
So evening, night and early morning included...

Also has something to do with sunlight and photosynthesis, storing of...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts