The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve been trying to buy a set of harness from an old dealing man for years,but he would never put them into price,they are at least forty years old,one of my sons has landed up this morning ,and gave them to me as a birthday present,I take back everything I,ve ever called him lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
giddins of london.

giddins of london were a good harness company.
although thay were very expensive and if the harness is 40 years old and if it has took the test of time well worth the perchase.
i would go over it with a fine tooth comb in checking the stiching and the condition of the leather.
giddens moved to colemancroft saddlery and worked out of an few out buildings.
colmancroft was in hatfeild hertfordshire and has been closed down for at least 7 years i dont know if giddens the harness makers are still going.
it looks a good set of trade harness though.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
tc

That is PURTY!
to tc if you look at the driveing apron i sent you it has come from the same place were the harness was made.
there was a harness maker called gary who worked at whitestubbs farm in broxbourne hertfordshire you had to stand behind him to make the lazy man do the work you required.
the funny thing was that his mother worked for giddings and she use to steal the buckles and terrets from gidings so he could make harness if he felt like it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a small amount of stitching to be done on the reins ,something and nothing,and the rein holder ring has broken off one of the hames ,nothing major ,but when I checked them properly ,you can tell they haven't been an ornament,but well used,better for that. well michealvanessa ,you certainly know about giddens,i think his son trained to be a barrister and then give it up and went back to making harness, there is a bit of an old video on u tube where jack Hawkins visited their place years ago and shows you the son making a collar

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry I don't know where I got jack hawkins from,it's jack Hargreaves and it's on one of his out of town programmes,I think it was filmed in the seventies

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
jack hawkins

i think you cross wire with long john silver lol well sounds like a good resteration prodject.
i have a set compleatley rebuilt i call it my reading set its a working set of harness.
all thats left is the out side of the pad the winkers throat lachshead peace.
and 80% of the furniture buckles and terrets and its about 20 years old now and still in good condition just cleaned it yesterday.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no need for restoration ,cleaned them all up today ,they can go straight on a horse

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I learned today,that when these harness were made,giddens made everything except the blinders and groomes of London used to make these for gidden ,have you ever heard that?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WE REALLY need to seee that beautiful harness on a horse!!

Nancy
will put it up within the week,I have another 2 sets that I haven't even tried yet ,an old black and red horseshoe set ,a brown horseshoe set. and I have a plain black set of working trade harness coming tomorrow,I,m going to have to pull myself up and stop,I,m doing more cleaning then what the wife does in the house

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Great!! Looking forward to seeing it! I am trying to get a draft harness clean, too!! It was too dirty to bring in the house, and now it is cold out, and I have to wait for a little warmer temperature to finish.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
blinkers

no i did not know that i thought thay made them on site but i think a majoraty of harness makers get them in and pieace them to geather.
i think the sets i hade made for me were sorced from from a harness makers supplys.
i had a pair set made in brass and patend leather and a single set to the above and a tandem leader set as well.
i need to clean the lot of it as its gathering dust at home.
and half a ton of tack as well need cleaning.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Greentree, I just brought a harness into the house after using a soft brush on it, outside. The great advantage to a harness vs a saddle is the harness can be brought in strap by strap.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
That's true!!! I cheated....took it to the Mennonite harness maker, and had him dip it in oil. Got it home, wiped it down, and it looks great! Obviously, this is not a dress harness.....

Nancy

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
My search for a cart has worn me down as they are all so very far away. I've been in contact with Roberts Carriages of Quebec, a very long distance, about a red forecart. Price is $1500+taxes. OK, but I need to get a shipping cost which I've asked for. There's a Pioneer dealer just as far the other way. Another Roberts dealer is in NY state. Maybe I should look for a set of plans and get a welder to built me a cart. Anyone know where I should look?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts