The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long/sad story short: I work as a part time stablehand at a local barn with my 2 daughters (ages 12 & 15), and we have met a lot of wonderful people/role models for them (which is why I do it - plus a love of horses, of course!).

One of the girls that we are pretty close to is 17 yrs old, and has been absolutely *dedicated* to a mare that most people would have given up on years ago. She is out there EVERY DAY; loving on, grooming & exercising this horse, in spite of the fact that she will likely never ride it again (soundness issues), and in spite of the fact that the mare is a pretty "tough customer" (very Alpha, a bit grouchy, etc.). She's one of those kids that give you hope for the next generation, and I love that my girls have befriended her. I genuinely like her, too, and am kinda a "Barn Momma" to her.

Anyway, The sad part :(
The horse died unexpectedly - colic, but likely caused by a tumor that shifted/grew/metastasized.. who knows? But bottom line, crashed FAST & had to be humanely euthanized.

So, my question: We are so sad for her, and know that there is nothing that makes this "better", other than maybe just kinda being there to listen & empathize & support her. But we would love to get her a token or gift that recognizes her loss, celebrates her love & her dedication to her horse. Any ideas? Or leads to companies that that may be able to help? Or just general "nice ideas" for thoughtful gifts.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Unfortunately I have none, but sure more creative folks will. There is hope for the next generation, because people like you show the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone thought to keep some tail or mane hair, a bracelet made out of it is a very good gift.
A friend of mine, had some mane and got it enclosed into a loveheart necklace, it was a gold heart with clear/glass so you could see the hair inside if that makes sense.
It was really beautiful, just looked like a nice piece of jewelry, but extra special.
Some mane & tail hair was saved, I may be able to (respectfully) get access to a bit of it. Great ideas! I am actually pretty "crafty" (& can browse Pinterest for bracelet tutorials?), or can check around for a locket... ?

·
Registered
48,598 Posts
the hair bracelets are a wonderful way to memorialize a loved horse.

I am not just trying to promote myself, but as an artist, most of the equine portraits I do are of lost horses. you can see some of my work on my user profile, or PM me directly.

or, use any of the many other talented artists on this forum to create a one - of - kind portrait from a photo of that horse, or that horse and her human.

. . . . or . . . maybe a Breyer horse that looks like her lost beloved, with your careful addition of decorations to make it personalized?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Just a thought that popped in my mind. It not much but maybe could go along. If you have some nice pictures on your or your daughters phone, Walmart can print them out. A full color 8x10 is like 2 bucks. A frame there or maybe a horse one if you have a particularly good shot. Or if you have several shots, smaller pictures in an album. We don't think about it as much theses days, but stuff happens and you lose pics on phones. Something she could keep. That's about as creative as I get.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
When I had my old guy put down I received several sympathy or "thinking of you" cards from family and friends. I really appreciated them and it was enough to know that they recognized how much that old horse meant to me.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some mane & tail hair was saved, I may be able to (respectfully) get access to a bit of it. Great ideas! I am actually pretty "crafty" (& can browse Pinterest for bracelet tutorials?), or can check around for a locket... ?
Check out the "Trick Horse Jewelry" Facebook page. The lady makes custom jewelry out of horsehair that you send in or has super nice things from horsehair she already has. A client got me a braided horsehair bracelet from her and it's stunning.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
How about a fleece blanket printed with a picture of her horse on it? Walmart and Walgreens do that.

I can't imagine what she is going through right now! I have a mare that is one of those "hard to love" kind of horses and I just can't imagine her going. I have put so much time, money and love into that sassy butt and I know she loves me too! I think I would like something that I could wear or have on my wall as a reminder........YOU are an awesome mom! You are leading a wonderful example for your daughters to remember and that girl will never forget your kindness!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts