The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been leasing a horse for about 6 months now and use the owners tack. She has a shoulder relief type girth which I'm not used to using but never thought twice about the way I was putting it on. The other day I went to the barn to ride and the owner was there riding her. When we were done riding I was untacking the horse and noticed she had the girth facing the other way. I didn't ask her about it because I didn't want her to think I was a dummy incase I've been using this girth wrong for 6 months! Can someone help me out. Picture is of how I've been using it. Picture of girth F for front (facing horses head)B for back (facing to rear of horse) Thanks in advance!
20210510_164621.jpg

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,138 Posts
Yep, you've got it right! The girth for my close contact is the same, and I use it the same way you do.

·
Super Moderator
14,985 Posts
Both pictures are from totalsaddlefit.com website for illustration of their product used correctly.

🐴...

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
The small curve goes under the sternum and faces forward for support. The deeper curves on that side go under the arm pit area with the long smooth curve facing back that allows the buckles to reach back toward the billets.

It isn't a TSF I am thinking HDR contour?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The small curve goes under the sternum and faces forward for support. The deeper curves on that side go under the arm pit area with the long smooth curve facing back that allows the buckles to reach back toward the billets.

It isn't a TSF I am thinking HDR contour?
Are you saying the way I'm doing it is backwards?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The curve in the center should point forward, and then it curves back for elbow room. You've been using it correctly, as far as I know!

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
I have never used a shoulder relief girth, but elastic end always goes on the near side, so whatever way that puts it.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
I'd say backward and there is elastic on both sides of any of the ones I looked at when purchasing for one of the horses here.

Call the manufacturer or search up specifics for the brand you purchased.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Googling it up the consensus is the most forward curve goes forward when laid flat. Some are very exaggerated and obvious others not so much. Perhaps it could depend on how narrow the horse in that area. There are so many variations and depths/widths.

·
Super Moderator
26,952 Posts
With an English girth, the easiest way to tell is the elastic buckles go on the left side (The side you mount). The solid buckles go on the other side. On the rare occasion the girth has elastic on both sides then the above has answered that question.

PS - how do you like that girth? I've been debating on getting one for both English and western....

·
Super Moderator
26,952 Posts
So... I just googled girths and it looks like the dual elastic ends are a lot more popular now so the likelihood of a girth having that is greater than I thought. I need a new girth! LOL

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You can see on this CWD version (where the metal loop can only point forward!) that the way you have it marked up is correct. The big swoop in the middle goes forward, and the big swoops that go back on either side are for elbow room.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
But it is the opposite on the TSF....

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
the photo of it on the horse looks correct. Is there a d ring on the center? it does not look like it is being used for the breast collar strap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts