The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a beautiful registered Arabian mare who was reserve champion at the Canadian Nationals, unfortunately she developed girth itch after one ride. This is the first time i have ever encountered girth itch in the 20 years I have ridden and owned horses. She has a particularly nasty case. I wash all my equipment regularly so I'm unsure how she got it, as none of my horses have ever had this. I have been treating it with anti-bacterial vet wash and a numbing agent that the vet suggested which is actually diaper rash cream. Someone said Tinnactin works as it might be fungal, but the vet that I see says it is almost always bacterial.... so that was confusing as it usually is with horses... there are many, many opinions. Still I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Has anyone encountered this and what has worked for you?

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
Often this would happen with young TB horses that were in for breaking. Like you girths were clean and it didn't matter what sort of girth was used.

We would wash with brown vinegar, bad cases we would use a sheepskin girth sleeve. It healed and as the area hardened so it cleared up.

Various vets said it was a type of ringworm.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
I've always just used Eqyss MicroTek Shampoo & gel to fix it. Have never had a situation that required antibiotics. I did always spray my equipment down with the MicroTek spray, just to be safe, and of course washed all grooming equipment and then had just one set and one girth for the afflicted horse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I'm not riding until she is completely healed and Ive ordered her all new pads and girths for her. I really don't like my horses suffering at all, I do natural horsemanship and their comfort is very important to me, so this was distressing. I certainly hope she doesn't need antibiotics. Ive never had difficulty with skin on my horses, she seems to have a very sensitive type skin, she is very sensitive when you touch her and so I'm doing mostly liberty work from the ground with her to gain trust and respect because she is so sensitive.

Arabians seem to be a very sensitive breed.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
OOPS GOT THIS! I was really aggravated this weekend because I noticed where her girth goes, she was losing hair. I rubbed it, and like with rain rot or a ring worm, all the hair peeled off and the skin was flaky below. She was itchy and enjoyed the scrubbing.

I THOUGHT the kid that rode her the last time we went riding had sucked her girth up WAY too tight and I hadn't noticed somehow. But had that happened, the skin should have been very raw and oozing, scabbed up.I've seen THAT before because of over-tightening. This isn't like that.

It really reminds me of the skin problems Outback had late last summer, but I didn't know there was such a thing. I just thought the worst about the person who rode her. NOW I know what to do about it. I am armed with Eqyss products thanks to the advice for Outback here, last autumn, from Dreamcatcher!

Sorry to derail the thread... I just wondered with Girth Itch is and clicked on it. NOW I KNOW! Glad you started this thread!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
@DreamCatcher - yep.

I said girth one time... local folks looked at me all confused.

Girth...thhhhh girth.

Still confused...

The cinch?

OH! GURT! You mean that there gurt!

Uh. No. GIRTH. TTTTHHHHH. Girth.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
@DreamCatcher - yep.

I said girth one time... local folks looked at me all confused.

Girth...thhhhh girth.

Still confused...

The cinch?

OH! GURT! You mean that there gurt!

Uh. No. GIRTH. TTTTHHHHH. Girth.
ROFL, yup. And uhgin, as in against the wall. No I mean put her uhgin that wall and hold 'er til she quits her fussin'.

No.....against....like ah-gaynst.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.