The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using a "proforma girth" which apparently has a waffle-weave airlfow material on the mare I'm leasing and Ive just noticed she now has a bald spot in her girth area (both sides) just behind her elbow, and one of them is a little scabby.
I've been using Corona ointment/MTG until they heal..

What can I do to prevent this? My saddle does fit her, so it isn't that.

I've thought about the sheepskin covers BUT she sweats like a beast, and I think that is what is irritating it.. Would a quilted cotton cover benefit? Maybe some baby powder rubbed on before? And of course, stretching out her legs after girthing to remove any wrinkled skin..

I've used fleece-covered girths also on her, but she just sweats so much, once the fleece girth gets soaked I think it just irritates her more..

·
Registered
569 Posts
You might try just a plain neoprene girth...My boy had saddle sores rubbed on him from every other kind except neoprene...

I use a classic equine one....they get sweaty buts its nice because they just hose off and are perfectly fine again since its that rubber stuff....and ive never had a saddle sore or rub...

Mine is also just smooth neoprene...no pattern or texture to it....

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Is the girth clean when you put it on? You might try some disinfectant/antibacterial cleaner on it befoe each use.
Personally I prefer a mohair cinch, and I never share cinches between horses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's very clean, I am veryyyy good at making sure girth & girth area on horse is brushed clean and free of any dirt..

Apparently my efforts don't pay off though : (

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
my TB is like this - he's super sensitive. i can't wear spurs ever b/c he gets rubs (and i know it's not me b.c i am using 1/8" spurs and i ride in significantly bigger spurs on my dressage/eventer and don't leave rubs on him when we flat or jump). also i found that if i use any regular (leather) girth, contoured or not, that he gets rubs, bald spots AND edemas...gah! the girth i found that works best is the Professional's Choice SMX girth for schooling and the Le Tixerant Show Jumping girth for showing (that was $$$$$$ though - but he and i both love it....*sigh*).

really the SMX is great for the money and even mr. uber sensitive doesn't have an issue with it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.