The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coming 10 year old Morgan gelding who has been under saddle for about four or five years now, but has recently been in "training" to be more than just a trail mount.

Under consistent work, he used to move forward on the crossties a bit when it came to tightening the girth, but nothing drastic.

I've had him at an indoor arena this winter so I could continue riding and just over the last few weeks he has begun lifting his hind leg as if to let me know something is uncomfortable. I switched saddles thinking that may be a possibility, and it doesn't seem to matter what saddle is on him. He doesn't do this in a 'mean' fashion. Like I said, more of just a 'hey mom, I don't like this.' I always move very slowly when tightening so it's not a quick surprise on his belly. I am having someone come to check him out, but just curious on thoughts of behavioral, maybe he got kicked while rough housing with the boys, or internal? I know you can't diagnose my boy without seeing him so just looking for others' stories on what has happened to them if/when in this situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Personally, I never tighten a girth while the horse is in cross ties. I will put it on, and make sure its securely fastened, and then when I get outside, or to the arena, or wherever I am mounting, I will tighten it again. It just eliminates the possibility that a horse will react negatively when girthing. Also, in my experience, when you girth them before you get on and not in the barn, they tend to react differently also.

Reactions: Yogiwick

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My guy has nothing wrong with him what so ever, but he is still girthy... I think he is just a grump actually. A bit of a mare really :p
So the horse might just not like it. I know I would hate a belt being tightened quite tightly around my middle!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Don't tighten it, just put it on. Leave the tightening for immediately before you get on.

Ulcers is a thought, but if he seems fine otherwise..

He may just not like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have re-worded.. to clarify I do wait until I am about to get on to "tighten it" he is doing this as I place it against his belly just to put it on.

Thank you for the thoughts so far! All things I will be considering and looking further into :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just double check he's as groomed as possible. You could give him a treat every time just as you do that, he may grow to like it lol. Clicker train.
Good idea! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't tighten the girth all in one go. I normally put the girth up 1/4 of the way, then go and get my helmet on, take about five minutes, then I raise it another hole or two, then I'll go get a drink of water or something, then I'll raise it some more, go get the bridle, then I'll raise it one more hole and it should be tight enough by then. By breaking up the process, the horse is much less likely to become girth-shy.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
First thing I would look into is getting him checked for Ulcers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.