The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rescue horse I'm trying to put weight on, so here are the pics first one is when the rescue shelter rescued him and second one from when I first got him(in april) and last pic is 6-24-09. let me know what ya'll think, he is a 20-/+ yr.old.I think he's come along way..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
WOAH! Oh, yeah. He's looking great!!!!!!!!! And at that age and short amount of time? **applauds**

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
He looks really good! His backbone is still in sight though, what I've found is the older they are the harder it is to cover that dang this up. Labre put on weight great this summer but her back bone still stuck out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when I first got him I had him on just a 12% grain,(didnt change him to senior in the beginning because he had other issues, long story) in May I changed his feed to Purina Equine Senior he gets 1 scoop and 1 scoop 12% grain with 2lbs. of calf manna 2x's a days 24/7 hay,but when the Calf Manna is gone I wont buy anymore(dont think he needs it anymore) he gets a flake of alfafia at each feeding.He is putting on weight slowly, thats what I wanted, didnt want him to founder or any other problems.Even though the second pic is not that good, when I got him you could clearly see his spine it stuck up about 2 in. So he is doing good running more and playing with others.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
He looks great! Perfect example that old horse can be rehab and look as beautiful as 5 year old!

·
Registered
411 Posts
wow! he has come a long way. I know when i rescued my horse he was in way worse shape than that. the owner told us he was only 20yrs/old but it turned out he was 29! and than he died, two years ago, and i only had him for a year. :(

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Great job!!! He was one sad looking guy a couple months ago and now he looks awsome!!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Wow wow wow! Lots of kudos and carrots to you! Your horse looks amazing, especially to gain all that weight back so well at his age. He got super lucky that you got him.

This just goes to show that those people say "my horse is skinny because he's old" or whatever are just full of hot air. An older horse doesn't mean a skinny horse.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You've done a brilliant job!!! He looks fantastic!!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Very good work! He looks like a fine weight now. At his age, I wouldn't want to see him any heavier. Older horses that have any kind of joint stiffness or pain do better if they are "lean". You can put a little extra weight on him in the fall, to help keep him warm. But if you notice him becoming more stiff, you'll need to drop h is weight and add a blanket instead.

Pretty boy!

·
Registered
105 Posts
WOW he looks awesome!!! Good job for you. Thank God HE found YOU!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts