The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have always had my guys shots done completely by the vet. She would draw blood for the coggins. Give the rabies and whatever other shot I also wanted on the other side of the neck. (Incase of allergic reaction) and then dispensed the other two to me so I can give them in two weeks. All has been well.

But in hopes to save some money. (Saving money with horses? HA!) I've been wondering about giving my own 5 way shots from tractor supply.

Does anyone ever do this? My one friend always does it during spring and never had an issue. My other friend never does it because she says by having the vet do them you know there's no risk of having a "bad" batch?? I dunno.

Any pros,cons to it? Or is it really just preference?

I know each 5 way can be different as well. But with te average price of each shot being upwards of $25 from the vet, and I have 3 that need them in spring I am hoping maybe to save alittle change. IF possible. (Hahaha)

Vet would still be coming out to do rabies/coggins/fecals. I'm just wondering about the eee/wee/tetanus, west Nile, etc.

Pros? Cons? Insight?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I give Fluvac 6, Rabies, and WNV, all myself. It's not required to have the vet do them here in OK. I also collect my own fecals and take them to the vet when needed. OSU usually runs a Coggins, Health Check and Teeth Float special right around February, so I haul the ones in that need that and get it done MUCH cheaper than having them come out.

I wouldn't buy from Tractor Supply, no telling if they were kept properly refrigerated or not. I order from Valley Vet or Jeffers Equine or KV Vet, depending on who's less for either the vaccines or the shipping. Just check your dates on the vaccines to make sure they aren't expired when you receive them. And watch for a site reaction. I've got a colt who has had a site reaction both times I've given the Fluvac Innovator 6 shot, so next time I'll use Vetere Gold + VEE because it's a different manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
Because your vet does the vaccinations does not mean he/she can't get a bad supply of product.... happened to me.
I watched the vet administer and know for a fact it was done correctly... 1200 bad doses of vaccine that year..my vet was not the only one to have issue with that company. {It was many years ago.}

As long as your horses are healthy why not give the shots yourself... save some $$....just makes sure you keep all the serial numbers ends of packages and note on them which horse got which shot just in case something happens they know how to trace if it needs tracing.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do I need to have an rx prescription to order them online? And does it say how much a horse should get depending on pounds? I won't be doing the shots myself for the first time. I will have a friend help me who has always done them herself. I think I am more so worried about possible allergic reaction. I am really needing to save some $$ but would you guys say its worth it to buy yourself? How much does a 5 way (or individuals) usually cost?

And is it safe to "do your own"? Aslong as I buy from a reliable source, of course. I know a lot of people who do them but I guess I never really thought about doing it myself, til now. Haha. And is it any different weather it's given as a 5 way or individual? I have two horses and a mini donk who would need them.

Here the vet legally has to pull a coggins and rabies. So I would just need to do the other misc shots.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think the only problem you would run into is if you plan to move your horses somewhere or take them off property. You have no proof that they were vaccinated, only that you bought the vaccines. I purchased a horse in June and wanted to move him to a new barn about a month after I bought him, previous owner gave his own vaccines. I had no proof that he was given the vaccines, so I had to have a vet out and re-administer all of them before we could move.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
You don't need an RX for the vaccines. You can download free vaccination, farrier and deworming records: http://midhudsonvet.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Vaccination_Record_2013.10472816.pdf

I put the horse's name, breed, reg # on mine and I take the sticker from each vaccination and place it on the record and write in the date, where given and how. So I'd put 10/21/2013, L. neck, IM, no rx (reaction) or site rx (site reaction), which I track to see if an individual horse needs a different brand. You can have the vet sign/date the Rabies section and Coggins. I also attach a copy of the receipt for the vaccine, and I keep all those "travelling" records together in a clear, plastic presentation sleeve with their registration papers. I keep all the sleeves in a notebook and can pull all the info I'll need for a horse in just a quick second.

If you keep complete, careful records like that, you should never have a problem if you need to move the horse anywhere within the country. I show a lot, so we're constantly travelling and crossing state lines, and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
For the past 15 years , I have given my own. Ordered in bulk, or bought them at TSC. Last year one of the drug companies sponsored a vaccination clinic, and it was WAY cheaper to have the vet do them.

There are 21 horses on our road, and he came out to the farm, and split one farm call between us. We divided it up per horse, so I paid the bulk of it. I got rabies, WNV, the combo, Coggins, and health certificates, ALL for less than the cost of ONE vaccination.
A MAJOR plus is that they are almost all now in sync, where before I had gotten the Coggins all strung out, and had to keep track.

You might see if your vet could put together a " clinic" like that in your area. Ours was intended to be a haul-in, but with all the horses on our road, it was far easier the way we did it.

And to answer the question, the vaccines are pre-measured, but every horse gets the same dose. I don't know if they cut it back for mini's.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our vet holds fall and spring 'clinicals' and chargers $15 a farm call instead of the normal $60. The bill needs to be paid at the time of service which is no biggie but I was just hoping to save a few bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
910 Posts
I work at Tractor Supply and have always given my own from there. I do the 5-way and WNV. I have never had a problem. This is actually the first year I had my vet do them because it was actually cheaper to go through her.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Depending on what your vet charges to give the shots, it might end up not really saving you money if you do it yourself.

Here's what I pay:
Fluvac Innovator 6 $25.49
West Nile 24.95
Rabies 7.95
Shipping 15.27

Total $74 (roughly, I was too lazy to add it all properly)

Then add $57 for Coggins & Health

Teeth if needed $75

and you end up with roughly $125/horse without doing teeth, $200 if you need teeth floating. That all assumes you take the horse in to the vet for the Coggins and teeth, so no farm call.

Quick note: If you go with Vetera Gold + VEE, you'll give everything you need to in 1 shot for $54.90. The Vetera vaccines seem to have found a way to eliminate site reactions, so are worth the extra buck or 2, IMO.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
My horses last owner said she had a reaction to the vet-administered 5-way last time, so I may need to break it down or use a different manufacturer. But it was all done fairly recently, so I have time to research my options. I've done my own vaccinations pretty regularly, so that doesn't bother me. Wish we would have a clinic here-that is a great idea!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I usually administer my own vaccinations, and I've never had a problem with health papers at a show. That said, I've only shown in a few U.S. states, so I don't claim to vouch for everywhere.

Some vaccines aren't available to everyone - for instance, the Rabies vax can't be sold to non-veterinarians here in Texas, so I'll have the vet adminster that one vaccine when I get my updated Coggins.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is how much my shots were last year-

Coggins- $36
Rabies- $22
Vet has to do both of those here in Ny.

E/W/T- $27.25
Potomac- $23.40
West Nile- $26.55
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coggins is not a shot-it is a blood draw to test for one specific disease.

Yes-- I know. Sorry if I made it seem like it was a shot. Haha. I know it's a blood test.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
13,051 Posts
The vaccines given by the vet for many come with a guarantee and coverage to some extent if something goes wrong. I gave shots I ordered off the internet. I've done it for years and was comfortable with the company I was ordering from and condition on delivery. I lost my favorite stallion, in his prime this spring to Triple E. He was current but coming due on his shots. Would it have happened had the vet done the vax - who knows but I would not be out the vet calls, the cost of putting him down or the burial.

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I think in CT the coggins and rabies have to be done by a vet to comply with the certification rule - the vet is the 'witness' that they were actually done and in the case of the coggins done on the horse as stated in the paperwork.
Others you can do yourself and save some cash

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I took a class on Horse Health Care back in 1985 SPECIFICALLY so that I could give my own shots. Everyone should know how to do this, AND everyone should keep 1 current vial of Tetantus Antitoxin in their fridge (and the syringe/needle, packaged)/PER HORSE. If your horse has an injury and is bleeding they can get tetantus, which lives in their blood but can travel throughout the body with such an injury. (I Still don't understand this, but I accept it.) A horse can handle an antitoxin shot from you and then an additional one from your Vet bc it just contains tetanus antibodies. This is an INTRAMUSCULAR shot and I learned to asperate and eliminate any bubbles. You lose a small bit of the liquid but it's a fairly easy shot to give. I'm not fond of intervenous shots.
The Only problem with giving your own innoculations is that the company will not honor any complications if a Vet doesn't administer it.
I gave my own shots for many years. The $ with my current Vet is better than buying. I used to buy at Farm & Fleet or from Foster & Smith.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
We've always done our own shots. Typically we order from valley vet and with our two horses get both the complete vaccinations and boosters for around $100. (though I think the past year it ran us $150). Still, it's more convenient for us to not pay the vet, and save the time and energy of meeting them. As for buying them at TSC I don't see why not. We've bought from them and had no problems before, and any vaccine batch can be contaminated or wrong. My motto has always been "If I'm in doubt, don't buy". Don't be afraid to watch your vet and get knowledge on how to give the shots accurately and efficiantly and don't choose a spunky horse who doesn't mind his p's and q's to give your first batch of vaccines to. ;-) haha It can really scare someone off of doing them by themselves. It's also always good to learn about aspirating needles as well just in case there ever comes that time when you have to give an IV shot (though I hope that never happens). As for what shots you can buy, I think everything but rabies is good depending on the state. From what I can tell rabies seems to be the main one that most states don't let you buy. Come to think of it, I learned to do my dogs and cats as well as my horses, the vet(s) hardly ever see us at all unless somethings seriously wrong or an operation's needed. Oh and $15 for a farm call? Wow.... I wish our vet charged that much!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.