The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am wanting to start a small milk goat opperation in northern minnesota when I relocate there in a year. Dose anyone know how goats do up north? Also, what are some breed recomendations. I would prefer a larger build, mid range producer.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My mom and dads neighbor has a goat milking operation she has Nubians, LaManchas, Saanens and Oberhaslis other milk goats are Alpines and Togenburgs. She likes the Obers most but she the Saanens give more milk. She sales the milk for $6.00 a half gallon I think and she also makes fudge from the goats milk. She use to make bath salts and soaps but I am not sure if she still does. I loved the soap it always smelt really good and left my skin really soft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh thanks! I am wanting goats more for personal use than retail. I am really excited about all the products that can be made from the milk. I think that goat milk ice cream is the best thing ever! OMG so amazing!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
They are alot of fun to watch when they are running and playing. I use to have 3 weathers just as pets and they loved to climb on stuff and butt heads together.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I love my milk goats, we use our small herd only for personal use, drink the milk, make cheese and soap.Lamanchas they make a lot of sweet milk but are kind of short, Alpines are taller more dairy looking with long legs also good milk producers not as much fat in their milk, Nubians big loud robust goats lots of milk with lots of fat content. Those are the three breeds I have and I like them all for different reasons, but I have a soft spot for the lamanchas and I really like the way their milk tastes. It gets pretty cold and windy here and my herd has done great, the wethers and one buck are kept in a pasture together with a shed and the girls have access to the barn. They can tolerate the cold pretty good as long as they are dry and can get out of any wind, we also feed a lot of hay when it gets really cold like -30 with wind.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Goats are wonderful! I currently have 10. and we just had a surprise baby born sometime last night! I have boers, they are a meat breed, but I love them.

If you really want to get into them I suggest joining: The ADGA(American Dairy Goat Association)

Most Dairy goats are good for milk, Meat breeds aren't though. However Toggenburgs were bred for cheese making so their milk is stronger in flavor.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I keep a few pet goats in the mountains of NH. Already snow covered here. Goats do just fine as long as they have a dry barn and a pile of hay to eat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Easter South Dakota...and i raise a couple of dairy goats....dairy goats do awsome...we sell the milk at about 12 dollars a gallon just because so few people have milk goats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.