The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horses are coming up due for their yearly vaccines, being new to the area I asked my neighbors what shots their horses get.....they replied they give none, said that the goats keep away any diseases/sicknesses. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

To add.....they have 2 horses in their late 30s, supposedly they have had zero health issues UNTIL their goat died, they bought another goat and have had no issues since. I asked a few other local horse owners and they have said the same thing.

I am going to give my vet a call Monday and see what they recommend, but was just curious as to if anyone has ever heard of this before. Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
That's news to me but I hope it's true as one fence neighbor has meat goats:)

I wonder if it matters if they are meat goats or milk goats:)

They also have chickens and my tick population has gone down to almost nothing, even though the chickens stay on their side of the fence:)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Nooooo, but you know the rule.....the propensity for illness in the horse is directly related to the amount you care about them.....because we ALL see horses turned out in junk pits, unvaccinated, unwormed, living to 35, but as soon as you CARE or decide to “do something with them”, suddenly they are committing suicide in a padded stall!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's news to me but I hope it's true as one fence neighbor has meat goats:)

I wonder if it matters if they are meat goats or milk goats:)

They also have chickens and my tick population has gone down to almost nothing, even though the chickens stay on their side of the fence:)
LOL right?! Our neighbor has meat goats as well, although they are just pets.

Nooooo, but you know the rule.....the propensity for illness in the horse is directly related to the amount you care about them.....because we ALL see horses turned out in junk pits, unvaccinated, unwormed, living to 35, but as soon as you CARE or decide to “do something with them”, suddenly they are committing suicide in a padded stall!
LOL! Glad I havent gone completely insane! I was like "Ive never heard that before" LOL!....as far as the care of the horses, besides water and hay in the winter, Im not sure they get much more, for their age they look healthy though!

Reactions: ClearDonkey

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hmmm that's a new one to me never heard of it. I'd say hog wash on it. I know several horse people who own goats to keep pastures free of brush.

All of them vaccinate their horse's. If goats kpet horse's disease free ,everyone in the United States would own goats. Its called luck and nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
I can see them keeping unwanted potentially disease carrying animals out of the fields if they were kept together. I'd see chickens more useful for some bug born disease but truly in many cases it is simply how far away you are from the breeding grounds for the carrier and how far they travel for a meal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is a long standing old wives tale that if you keep goats with your horses, the goats will catch the disease before your horses do. They do not prevent your horse from becoming sick, but only alert you there is a disease in the area. Goats are still commonly kept with new horses in quarantine in our area. Goats are not a substitute for vaccinations. They are just an early alert that you have problems.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
^ That.

Whether it's true or not is up for debate, but the belief is that they are like the 'canary in the coal mine' -- an early warning system something is amiss.

Lots of people have horses and goats here. Horses are still vaccinated.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I know horses and goats can be great buds but I never heard they prevent illnesses.
I suspect hanging a cross and garlic over the stall door might get the same results.
Personally, I like goats. They can be entertaining but we don't have fencing for goats so no goats here. They sure would help the brushy areas.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
The only reason I can think of for this belief is that goats, being browsers who prefer to eat shrubs, do have less parasite resistance than grazers who eat close to the ground (where parasites live). So if they are forced to eat grass with the horses, they will show symptoms of a high parasite load first.

They get vaccinated for totally different things than horses. I don't think they share many diseases.

@Dustbunny -- portable electric netting from Premier One will hold goats very well. And you can move it where you need it.

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
Chickens are the monitor breed for many illness spread by mosquitoes here. It gives a head up as to what they are carrying. It also provides a way for the spread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts