The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend our guys are taking us ladies to Oaklawn, so excited!

I've only been to the track once, years and years and years ago, in OK.
My "friend" at the time was buddies with someone important and we watched from a press room or upstairs somewhere, not sure what it's called.
They told me to bet on a particular horse, I was broke and only had $10 on me.... The freakin horse WON! Made $180!

One of our dearest friends going is an avid mule enthusiast... He was giving me a hard time about how good he is and would "beat" me at the track, apparently he's really lucky.
I told him I'd do better because THEY AREN'T RUNNING MULES, :lol:. I actually know what a horse looks like...
(I ADORE any equine, it's just a running joke/ribbing we have going :D)

So tell me how do YOU pick em?
(disregard stats, I have absolutely no ability to figure those out in two days... :D)
What to wear?
Any tips to make me NOT look like a complete idiot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49,777 Posts
I did read the newpaper the give you when you come it. it tells you the times the horse had in his/her last few races, and will tell if the track was fast or wet or muddy, so you can compare to today's conditions.
I tended to not pick the favorite, but neither a long shot .

I went down to the warm up ring and watched the horses go around. if they were already lathered then I might not choose them.

I guessed.

I lost money almost always,

I was par with the statistical average.

I had fun, until twice I saw a horse running break his leg and the bone come through the skin and the hrose not be able to stop running he had so much speed, and him be put down on the track.

now, I haven't gone in years, but the memory is far enough back that I might risk it. we have a very nice track here, and i keep meaning to go. next summer.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I always back the horses who are being ridden by a good jockey!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: FlyGap

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't give you any luck, and the only tip I can offer is this old saying:

"Horse sense is what prevents horses from betting on people."

Reactions: FlyGap

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha HA! I'd probably only bet on the most typical color like a bay because they win more often, there's more of em.. I'll try those tips Roper and let you know how it goes!

It's going to be a lovely 65 degrees and sunny down there. So excited!
(Of course that's a day I'd rather be riding than watching!)

Reactions: Roperchick

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i used to watch the races on tv back when my local track would run the day's program on the local 'access' channel. so while i wasn't betting any money, i did pick who i thought would win. my pick would usually be in the top 4 horses, but rarely did i pick an actual winner.

my strategy was choosing the horse that went into the starting gate the calmest. if he's not wasting his energy behind the gate, he'll have more of it for the actual race.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I am a statistician by training, so I do comb through past performances (one of these days I'm going to hire someone to develop an app with an algorithm I develop!!). I rely on past performance plus pedigree, which is all in the Daily Racing Form. I spent my childhood making $2 bets for my dad at upstate NY OTBs, and while he wasn't a big dollar bettor, he usually stayed in the black with my picks :)

Anyway, since you're going to have fun, here are my suggestions:
1. Before you even walk through the turnstyle, know what your dollar limit is for the day. When my husband and I make our annual pilgrimage to Saratoga, we set our dollar limit, and our goal is to make enough on top of that to cover our drinks and snacks at the track.
2. A decent formula for creating a winning ticket is to use one of two strategies:
a. Bet a "medium odds" horse (i.e., maybe in the 7-1 to 12-1 range) to show. A $2 bet to show on a horse with those odds will make you enough money for a lemonade
b. Think about an "exacta box"- this is where you pick the first two finishers in the race. By making it a "box," it doesn't matter which order the horses come in, as long as the two horses you pick are first and second. Let's say you pick the #3 and the #7 in an exacta box- you would win if 3 came in first and 7 came in second, or if 7 came in first and 3 came in second. Since your goal is to have fun, you might think about putting the favorite in the exacta box, with a medium odds horse. You can specify the dollar amount here- usually you have to bet a minimum of $1 on the exacta, so if you box it, hence creating two bets, you will pay $2 for your ticket.
3. I can't remember offhand if Oaklawn offers these, but the $0.10 superfecta is a really fun bet. You literally pay 10 cents, and try pick the first four finishers in the race. Not much of a risk, but could be a really big payout! This isn't usually offered in every race, but I would guess it's offered on several.

There are a million more ways to lose your money at the track, but for someone just going to have fun for a day, those three kinds of bets are what I usually recommend. And, you should definitely just go hang out by the saddling ring and see which horses look good- calm, shiny, strong vs. wide-eyed, washed out and paniced. Knowing horses will give you an advantage in making your picks, even if you know nothing about statistics!

Most of all, have fun! Are you wearing a fun hat?

And, I just have to share some racing pictures (and we expect to see some of yours!):

Kentucky Oaks and Derby, 2011 (when Plum Pretty and Animal Kingdom won):
Hats!

Going into the first turn of the Derby:

The Derby winner, Animal Kingdom:

Saratoga, various recent summers:
Watching Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra walk out after her last (losing) race:

The beautiful walking ring/saddling stalls:

Horse crossing:

Plotting bets!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:p L, will do! HA ha!!

Thank you Egrogan! I'll pull your post up and use it as my "I know what I'm doin" manual!

Oh! Thanks for the reminder, just texted the "girls" and we're now all wearing fedoras! I'll post photos fur sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Lockwood

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woo Hoo!!!! Thanks y'all for the good luck!
I did AWESOME!
Picked em on confo, jockey, and just my gut... won 5 out of the 8 races I bet on!
(My biggest bet was $15 so nobody hit me up for a loan, LOL!!!)

Photo time! Forgot my good camera, bummer! There were some drop dead good looking horses.

This horse won the 5th race, was number 5, and I bet $5. HA HA!
Keep an eye out for Larope, he got claimed too :(
Apparently an up and coming "supa sta".

Lovely track horses...

^ That buck/brownskin was to DIE FOR, photo doesn't do him justice.

In the pens...

(I bet on this one based on color and confo, he was a lemon, LOL! But I bet on the 9 horse also since he was so hot / fabulous and won "big"!)

Two of us girls cracking up and having a BLAST!

Reactions: Roperchick

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Nice job, FlyGap! I knew your eye for horses would help you have a great day. Love the pictures- your hats are great!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
For starters, don't let the odds board talk you out of betting on a long shot. Even if the horse is just in the race to get some exercise and experience, nothing says it can't win the race. Especially if it is a claiming race or maiden, any horse can win it. Bet the long shots if you like them. The bring great prices.

I always go the paddock area to watch them walking around before the race. I look for horse's who are walking along very calmly with a nice big stride. Look at the shoulders. A more angled shoulder gives the horse a bigger stride. A horse that is already sweating, wild eyed, and just looks out of it's mind usually has already wasted the necessary energy to win the race. If it's a long race, look for longer backs the bigger stride. For sprints, find the one with the best shoulder and the shortest back. When in doubt, bet a name you like. I can't tell you how much money I've won just doing that. It drives the "experienced" gamblers nuts.

Pay attention to which jockeys are winning that day. Just like any other sport, jockeys get hot. If one is already won a few other races, he'll likely hit another one.

Don't get fancy with your betting. Forget exactas. It's hard enough to pick the first place horse no less the second place too. Either bet a straight win ticket, or if you really like it, bet is across the board which will get you money whether it comes in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Mostly, have fun. Bet your gut and win big!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Oopsie, you already went. Glad you did well and had fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.