The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uniform Sole Thickness

If you don't have the stomach for looking at cadaver hooves, don't open this. If you want to better understand the concept of uniform sole depth, this is pretty cool and well illustrated.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that really interesting how you could see inside the hoof and distinguish the dead white flaky sole from the yellowish waxy sole.

What I liked most about this article is that it is written by a farrier. It's the first time I have seen someone who applies shoes for a living talk about trimming according to the plane of the sole. So many farriers complain that particular term is solely a "barefoot thing" and has no place in traditional farrier work. I wish this guy lived in my area.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I found that really interesting how you could see inside the hoof and distinguish the dead white flaky sole from the yellowish waxy sole.

What I liked most about this article is that it is written by a farrier. It's the first time I have seen someone who applies shoes for a living talk about trimming according to the plane of the sole. So many farriers complain that particular term is solely a "barefoot thing" and has no place in traditional farrier work. I wish this guy lived in my area.
My farrier and I were actually just discussing that too since my percheron mare's rt hind foot is so supinated. I was told to question him about trimming the medial and lateral sides differently to make the foot straight. He told me he trims according to the sole and that you can't fix the foot in that matter unless maybe they are foals.

·
Super Moderator
22,887 Posts
Oh, there are good farriers out there... you just have to look hard & sift thru some crud to find 'em!:wink: (That's a bit tongue in cheek BTW.... a bit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts