The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which bit do you use? I use a Myler Level 1 Loose Snaffle for dressage and I think it is time to move up. Any suggestions?

This is what I am currently using.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the KK ultra and it is much thicker. Problem is that it was bought for my previous horse and is probably a good 3/4" too big for her mouth. How big of a no-no would it be to use that with her?

She's not going that great in that Myler. I wish she was. But I think it's time to change it up and try something else.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I used KK on my paint, but she surprisingly liked Mikmar more (and Mikmar is the only one my qh seems to be pretty happy about). BTW, neither of them liked Myler bit.

3/4 more is way too much IMHO.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've loved the KK Ultra in the past. I'm trying to save money to get one again. Right now I'm using a Happy mouth loose ring-not jointed-with a peanut roller, for both dressage and jumping, and he likes it just fine. :) (he has a really soft mouth, it's hard not to over-bit him.)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you explain why you think this myler bit might not be good anymore?
Bailey has been in training for about three weeks now and rides great with my trainer. Although I'm not as good as he is, with me she braces against me and doesn't respect my Myler bit. He uses a slow twist and she is perfect. I don't want to use that but I do think I need to change up from my current bit.

·
Registered
50,907 Posts
You are opposed to the slow twist? I know it's not legal for dressage.

Well , for starters, try the french link.

In other ways, you would need to work on learning how to keep him light and responsive to a bit.
I rode a few times in a myler like that one and I did not like it very much. But, usually, one can adjust and getting a horse to not brace against you has more to do with having good hands than having a good bit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are opposed to the slow twist? I know it's not legal for dressage.

Well , for starters, try the french link.

In other ways, you would need to work on learning how to keep him light and responsive to a bit.
I rode a few times in a myler like that one and I did not like it very much. But, usually, one can adjust and getting a horse to not brace against you has more to do with having good hands than having a good bit.
Not opposed to it. Just don't want to use it myself because it's not legal for dressage and also I know it is my hands too. But at the same time, I just want to change it.

That bit feels like I'm riding her in a halter sometimes. Takes a lot of work to have her pay a little more attention.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.