The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of looking for a new saddle, but I'm not in any rush to find one. Lately I've just been riding my horse tackless and doing some lunging. I figured it'd be a good opportunity to do get back into some good groundwork exercises with her.

Does anyone know of any good groundwork exercises to work on other than just lunging? We sometimes like to play around with some obstacles like tarps or boxes too

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Yes, lots. Starting with the basics, desensitising to stuff, yielding in all manner of ways, from different positions - eg. see if you can get her to yield or drive her when you're sitting down or behind her - ground driving, with & without reins, over, under, around obstacles. Teach her tricks & games - soccer, fetch.... & whatever you can teach while ridden you can teach on the ground too - dressage for eg.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, lots. Starting with the basics, desensitising to stuff, yielding in all manner of ways, from different positions - eg. see if you can get her to yield or drive her when you're sitting down or behind her - ground driving, with & without reins, over, under, around obstacles. Teach her tricks & games - soccer, fetch.... & whatever you can teach while ridden you can teach on the ground too - dressage for eg.
Haha actually have taught her many tricks. I'm quite proud of having taught her how to bow! And thank you, those are all great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with loosie! You should definitely do some stuff around obstacles, teach some tricks and play some games. I see above that you already taught her some tricks, so maybe expand your cues just to change things up? I like to make my cues a fun thing for my horse to look for.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I would also look into Parelli Ground work. Their techniques work very nicely to get the horse listening to you and to help gain more respect and even trust.
There is circling no more than four times then disengaging the hind and going the other way, neck flexing, disengaging the hind - eventually you should be able to do it without toucing the horse, different ways of backing, speed changes, etc.
Buck brannaman and parelli are good people to look to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.