The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But that's it! She's taking everything without a tiny bit of a fight, and so far, I feel like I'm "starting" a horse that's already been ridden for ten years, lol. I put a bridle on her for the first time last week, and have made it a part of the grooming process. Groom, bridle, walk around, put her away.

Today I took out my surcingle, punched a bunch more holes in it and threw it on her. She pinned her ears and bared her teeth a bit, but I tightened the girth up as tight as it would be for a saddle and rider and she didn't buckle, balk, refuse to move, walk funny, nothing. She just gave me a grumpy face and proceeded to trot around on the end of her lunge line happy as a clam. I'm so very proud of her, even if I feel like I haven't actually done anything, lol.

Anywho, a picture. =]

And in case you didn't see my bridle thread, here she is in her bridle. =]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, well done. :) She looks so comfy in her bridle! wow.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! =D She is pretty comfortable in her bridle. She eats it up like it's a treat when I bring it to her lips, and she just happily plays with it when it's in her mouth. I'm sure she thinks it's just a new ingenious toy for her to play with. It's adorable. =]

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
That surcingle swallows her lol. Sounds like she is moving along nicely and taking very thing in stride, congrats!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, yes, yes it does swallow her. I punched like six holes on each side, and it's all the way up, lol. I'm going to get another one, because I hate the one I have. And a hot pink saddle pad, now that she can be use it. =D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
aww! She's all growed up! lol

I wouldn't have thought she was even a year old yet. She's so teeny weeny! Well, my horse was 15hh by the time she was 10 mos. so.... maybe I'm just not used to seeing a "real" sized yearling-and-a-half.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is very teeny-weeny, lol. I doubt she's going to make it to "horse" sized and I find that terribly depressing. I like my horses big, but alas, it was not meant to be. At least she has a pretty face. I'll keep her just so I can see that face every day. =]

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
It's CRAZY how small she is! Were her parents quite small? I checked out your barn and for some reason, I always thought she was a pony! It makes me shake my head that some people are RIDING them at that age!

Then again, Jynxy was 14.1hh when I purchased her at 2 years old, and in less then a year (she'll be 3 in April, she's shot up to almost 15.1hh :wink: Them stock horses like to grow like weeds!

I agree though, I doubt she'll get much over 14hh. I'm SO glad I didn't buy Jynx's half sister instead - she's the same age and barely 14hh herself!

Gracie looks AWESOME. Glad it's going well, and thumbs up on the bit choice!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Beautiful mare!
I love how big the surcingle is on her! It makes her look like a little kid that is trying on mom and dad's shoes that are just to big! lol
She is a beautiful horse btw.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's CRAZY how small she is! Were her parents quite small? I checked out your barn and for some reason, I always thought she was a pony! It makes me shake my head that some people are RIDING them at that age!
Yeah, her parents are pretty small. Mom is 14.3 and dad is 14, maybe 14.1. But hey, at least she'll be a fast little powerhouse and I can do some gaming and maybe cows. =]

Beautiful mare!
I love how big the surcingle is on her! It makes her look like a little kid that is trying on mom and dad's shoes that are just to big! lol
She is a beautiful horse btw.
I love it! What a great way to look at it! Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts