The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a refresher, Gracie is my little QH filly. Sorry for all the pictures, she's just too cute for only a few pictures. =]

This is her when I first got her in April, she was 7 months.

The end of July, 11 months.

And the other day, about 17 months.

And her pretty face. =]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very cute. Funny how she went from fuzzy to sleek to fuzzy again. Very pretty mane and tail!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Haha, you have a point. But just look at how much better this winter's coat is as opposed to last years! She was pretty wormy when I got her, and didn't start shedding last year's winter coat until June. I'm hoping she sheds at a normal time this year because she's so much healthier. =]

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
She's a very cute little girl :D

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumpity, bump, bump?

I really would like some more input. I know she's still young, and is definitely going in and out of that ugly yearling stage, but if you were going to purchase a yearling, would she be something you'd consider? Why or why not?

No, she is not for sale, I just want to know of reasons why you wouldn't or would buy her.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Shes cute. My little guy didnt shed till july-august!

Im undecided about her. I think shes a horse I would have to meet a few times to decided if I wanted her. She dosent look like a typical stock qh. I would rather go tall and lean then short and wide anyday though. She looks long in the back in some photos, but in others its not noticable. Her hind legs look a little thick. Shes got a somewhat pony head to me. Her fetlocks look a little long for a qh, but my qh is currently looking like that as well. I think it might just be part of that growing phase. She sort of looks like if she were to stop growing right now she would make a nice pony. Some people dont care for that type of look. There is nothing glaringly wrong with her, but nothing stick out as a "OoOo I gotta have her" factor. For me I could go either way, liking her or not depending on personality. Do you have any pictures of her squared up? I know its hard for babies sometimes. I adore her halter, sometimes I wish my little guy was a girl so I could pink him all up :p

·
Banned
629 Posts
There are only certain things that can be accurately critiqued in youngsters, so it's unfair to ask people to comment on her, particularly when she's clearly in an uneven, awkward stage of growth.

Having said that, I've seen enough over the years to know, she'll end up downhill built with a low neck set that has a rough connection. But on the positive side, she'll have a huge hip, good ls joint placement. It looks as though she'll also have good length to the humerus bone. I think she'll end up a bit weak through the loin due to it being on the long side.

Overall, she should be an athletic individual for you.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks so much for that!!

I actually prefer tall and lean too, I'm more a TB or Warmblood type person, and somehow ended up with a Paint and a QH, lol. I have noticed her back legs, especially her hocks have thickened up quite a bit since I got her. And she does have a dainty little head for such a big body, but so does her head, and I'm actually very grateful for that, because it's her face that won me over. =]

I don't think she will get too much bigger, her dad is about 14.1, her mom about 14.3. Currently she's about 13hh, but I swear every time I stick her, it's different, and not just going up, I think some days she's actually shorter. o_O And I don't have any pictures of her squared up, I think I'd need someone to hold her for something like that. She tends to dance a lot when she's tied if I'm not right there with her.

And why can't you put pink on a guy? I would. I picked pink because it looks so darn good on her, and if she were a he, I'd probably still go with pink. =]

And for the record, I think you would like her. Once she warms up to you, she's actually very sweet, quite the cuddler. As long as she knows you're boss, she's really a very good little baby. =D

EDITED to add on Mercedes' post:

Well I knew she would be hard to critique, that's why I said if you were looking for a yearling, would you consider her. And I also knew she'd be downhill, both her parents are. And I never thought of her as having a long back, maybe because my Paint actually has a LONG back, so Gracie's seems very short in comparison. =] Thanks though, I really want to know all I can about what people think of her.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm more a TB or Warmblood type person, and somehow ended up with a Paint and a QH, lol.
Me too. I have a paint mare (11) and a qh cross (11 months). Ive had one horse previously, the skinniest leanest tallest tb Ive ever seen. I havent really even ridden a stock horse, besides my mare. My little guy should end up around 14.2 or so. I really like ponies so I wont mind a quarter pony :p Hes short and very stocky. Hes almost as wide as my mare and hes about two plus hands shorter LOL. I really wanted to do eventing or combined training again, but Im fine with a horse who cant jump enourmous fences. He might even turn into a WP horse. As long as hes more sane then my mare U/S I dont care what we do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.