The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a whole lotta extra tack. Before we moved to the Philippines, I knew that it would be difficult to find suitable horse gear in our area. So, I bought up all I could find and shipped it over. I bought boxes of mix-match stuff from flea markets. Grab bags of stuff on sale at tack shops. Used stuff from friends. I also managed to get some nice headstalls and such here and there.

I’ve been using the old, beat up, stuff. I suppose just because I figured using the stuff on the trails here in the tropics would just wear the good stuff out with no one but me to appreciate what it is. The repair of my beautiful, antique hope saddle got me thinking about the other nice stuff I have in the tack room.

I’m getting old now. I can feel myself getting old. I figure if I’m not going to use the good stuff now, when will I? It’s just hanging around like Grandma’s good china. The set no one ever uses. Only taken out from time to time for cleaning.

I set Skippy up with a good headstall, a set of slobber straps and a mecate style set up with a tassel and get down rope.

Horse Working animal Liver Horse tack Bit

Pinatubo got a nice headstall and slobber straps. I cut up a piece of mystery tack and am making a set of reins to attach to the slobber straps. My old hands will only allow me to wrap one end at a time. But I think it will look nice on her.

Font Twig Wood Pattern Fashion accessory

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I don't think it is a "getting old" thing. I used to be a tack hoarder. I bought cutesie stuff and found it broken and useless over time. Then I bought nice tack and tucked it away. After some time I realized I might as well use it because - well I bought it and I'm never going to show or do anything in a big crowd. So I use it because I enjoy it!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don’t know what to do with my western saddle since Angelina passed away. It’s definitely in useable condition. I wish I could give it to someone here on the forum so I know it’d be getting a good home.
I’m keeping her halter and bridle…they don’t take up much room. I’m even torn on whether or not to give her grooming equipment away. It feels “disloyal”, somehow, to do so.
Old friend Diane is taking all the horse products, fly spray, antibiotic cream, etc. for her two horses.
I guess in the back of my mind I think there’s a chance of another horse. There isn’t. Not one single person in my life thinks I should get another horse.
I’m getting old too, C.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know what to do with my western saddle since Angelina passed away. It’s definitely in useable condition. I wish I could give it to someone here on the forum so I know it’d be getting a good home.
I’m keeping her halter and bridle…they don’t take up much room. I’m even torn on whether or not to give her grooming equipment away. It feels “disloyal”, somehow, to do so.
Old friend Diane is taking all the horse products, fly spray, antibiotic cream, etc. for her two horses.
I guess in the back of my mind I think there’s a chance of another horse. There isn’t. Not one single person in my life thinks I should get another horse.
I’m getting old too, C.
BethR, there is a lady named Marie Kondo who is something of a home organizer/de clutter guru. Her philosophy is to keep only those things that spark joy in your life. I really like that idea.

I’d say hold on to those things as long as you need to. I suspect that gradually, bit by bit, you can release some of it. You will retain the pieces that bring your horse to mind, and the joy you had together.

·
Registered
758 Posts
BethR, there is a lady named Marie Kondo who is something of a home organizer/de clutter guru. Her philosophy is to keep only those things that spark joy in your life. I really like that idea.

I’d say hold on to those things as long as you need to. I suspect that gradually, bit by bit, you can release some of it. You will retain the pieces that bring your horse to mind, and the joy you had together.
Wonderful suggestion, C! Thank you for that..and I suspect you’re right 🙂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts