The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am seeking information on the value of a horse hide sleigh blanket, that belonged to my grandparents. i am interested in selling this item, but know nothing about it. ive seen similar blankets, but nothing like it. i will enclose a picture . thank you, geff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I don't know the value. Cowhides, unfinished, go for about $150-175 retail.

You may get a better idea on western are collector sites.

I have seen this in houses. Always from a favorite horse, except once. That time the owner said, "No. I didn't particularly like the horse. He was a jiggety son of a gun. I just wanted to see him stand still!"

Horse hide furniture used to be popular, too. And horse leather boots are very soft and durable.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I would try to find the traveling road show that does all kinds of items from rare and exotic to real treasures of antiques...The Antiques Road Show think it is called.
They might be able to tell you a value and a audience who might be interested in it...

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I also find the mane disturbing lol idk why it's just that one part that throws me off. I can't imagine keeping it as a memento of a favorite horse. I would suggest contacting some leather workers/tanning businesses, people used to processing and selling cow hides should be able to give you a good idea of a horse hide even if antiquated. And on that note an antiques store MIGHT be able to help?

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
I would assume that's an antique and probably very rare but I have no idea how you would figure out a worth or what market you would sell to. I would think maybe ask at an auction house? (for antiques - not animals)....

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I know it creeps some horse people out but there are also those who would love this. In my part of the world there are for example people who still hitch up horses to sleighs in the winter. Might be perfect for someone like that (I always like to see old stuff being used as it was originally intended). If you look up horse hide lap blanket you'll find several examples on ebay right now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I looked on ebay and found 15 examples of this same type of blanket--

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=horse+hide+blanket&_sacat=0

None of them appear to be generating much interest. I personally find them to be rather disgusting and wouldn't want to use it. I didn't know these were popular back in the day so no offense to the OP or his grandparents. I just feel that it would be best to donate these things to a local museum and leave it at that.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I looked on ebay and found 15 examples of this same type of blanket--

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=horse+hide+blanket&_sacat=0

None of them appear to be generating much interest. I personally find them to be rather disgusting and wouldn't want to use it. I didn't know these were popular back in the day so no offense to the OP or his grandparents. I just feel that it would be best to donate these things to a local museum and leave it at that.
You probably wouldn't think they were quite so disgusting if 1. your routine form of winter transport was an open sled or sleigh (that hide would really cut the wind chill factor), and 2. you lived in a period where using every part of an animal (or plant) was standard practice, and 3. you had the Victorian sensibility toward memorializing the dead, which we tend to find morbid and weird today. It was common to make memorial jewelry out of the hair of the deceased, for one example.

It's all in your point of view ...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
It's just the mane. I can't get past the mane, and I think that's the problem a lot of other people are having, too. I mean, why not just include the face, too. Ick.

But, no offense meant to OP. It's just creepy to me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
@Avna--Agreed. Key words here being "back in the day", "Victorian", and "museum" as in not something we need to do nowadays. I acknowledged it was different then. Many people in the modern age see horses as pets and not just utilitarian. Even to memorialize my pet horse like that is not very appealing to me. Making jewelry out of their tail hair would be kind of cool though. It is just my perspective.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
I don't have to travel in open sleigh, I don't live in Victorian times and I find it really creepy. I like to put my feet against my husband's at night to warm them up underneath the covers. To memorialize him if he dies before me, I guess I'll hack off his feet, install battery operated warmers in them and keep them under the covers, lol! CREEPY!

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I don't have to travel in open sleigh, I don't live in Victorian times and I find it really creepy. I like to put my feet against my husband's at night to warm them up underneath the covers. To memorialize him if he dies before me, I guess I'll hack off his feet, install battery operated warmers in them and keep them under the covers, lol! CREEPY!
I'll want to see pictures of that. Oh, maybe not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it’s kind of cool.

But then again, I have the skull and hide of my favorite packgoat, Ranger, on my wall. His horns were just so cool and he’s the reason I graduated to horses. I donated his carcass too. I really didn’t want him going to waste when he could bless a family in need. I couldn’t bring myself to eat him though.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
From what I've seen on Ebay and yours looks to be in pretty good condition. I would day anywhere between 350. and 500.

It doesn't creep me out because I don't really see where it's any different than having a cow hide. People get attached to their cows too.

Would I want someone to steal my horse and senselessly kill her for the hide? No. But I don't see anything wrong with using everything that can be used from an animal who is going to die anyway if that is what one wants to do.

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
Some of us get pretty close to our horses. Most have been grand partners in endeavors not of their choosing.

You get sentimental about the horse that has stayed with you through hail storms, blizzards, blistering heat, glorious sunrises, perfect days with fields covered in wildflowers, that no other human and his horse will see that year, and knows his job so well he can correct YOU when you're about to mess up.

So, yeah... I can completely understand why, on both practical and sentimental levels, why people keep a horse's hide.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it, but it gives me the creeps though. Fine for someone else, but I would not allow the thing in my house. Would give me night"mares"!

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
omg, I think a part of me just died. Don't know whether to say :eek: or :rofl:

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
This reminds me when I was 9 yrs old and as horse crazy as a child could be. I didn't have my first pony yet, but I dreamed of them and constantly asked my Daddy to let me have one. For years I begged for a horse of my own.

It was Christmas Eve, and earlier that year, my sister went to Iceland. When I unwrapped her gift to me, there was a pair of mittens with fur around the top. Just as I was about to pick them up out of the box, she mentioned the mittens were made from Icelandic pony hides :shock: She thought it was a good gift because I loved horses so much. I thought she was unbelievably cruel to give me something that meant a horse had to die to make. Up until that time, I had no idea that anyone ever killed horses :frown_color:

Anyway, I didn't touch those gloves, and felt so sick at the thought of them, I left the whole Christmas Eve celebration to retreat to my room and cry for the pony. I cried for me too, that my sister would give me such a horrible gift. It felt like a slap in the face.

My mother came upstairs and demanded I apologize and thank my sister for the gift. I refused and had to miss dinner.

The next day everyone tiptoed around me, and no one mentioned the mittens. I opened each Christmas present as if there was a snake inside ready to bite me. As soon as I could get away I went back to my room. It was the worst Christmas ever.

Seeing this blanket brought all those feelings back; I felt 9 again...and sick to my stomach

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.