The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING, even I gasped when I saw this. A friend of mine who is a nurse, just got back from Haiti to help with medical care. She took a lot of pictures down there, including this poor horse, who I have no idea how, is still standing alive. I'm sure she must have been a beautiful mare at one point. I have no idea how she managed to stay alive in this condition.

Scroll below.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Oh my goodness!!!! I hope someone can help her! She deserves to survive!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Is anyone helping the poor thing? I highly doubt it since the earthquake victims are "more important" but if I were able to make a difference for the poor girl, I would be focusing on her.

That just absolutely breaks my heart, oh my god. I am fighting back the frustration and tears. I just want to reach through the screen and touch her.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It's awful. And although I am a huge animal lover I think the very thin boy behind her is even sadder.

I think the worst part is that animals there were like that before the earthquakes. The society doesn't have "pets". The animals wander around where they please. Well that is what I heard : /

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So very sad. I am with MIE...I just wanted to reach through and bring her home.
Wonder if there is some other things going on.
So very sad.
HP

·
Banned
593 Posts
awww =[ i too wonder why shes so thin. she must be sick.. theres plenty of forage it looks like. if some one could fly her here id take her haha

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
She should have been used to feed some haitians before she got that thin. She must have been sick or they would have eaten her already. I would bet that stray animals and livestock of any kind are hard to find in Haiti.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm cross posting these (with permission). Someone on another forum went to Haiti before the earthquakes. She said the Haitians didn't have "pets" per say. The animals just stuck close to the houses that gave them food. If the animal is owned by someone they let them wander. In their culture nobody steals another person's animal.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The horse did not get like that from the after effects of the earthquake.

Neither is there a shortage of grass on the island.

So exactly why is that creature in such a pathetic condition?

I wonder just how you would get that creature back looking like a horse - or is it a pony?

It is a remarkable survivor.

Ugh!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm thinking that she was like this BEFORE the earthquake. They are poor after all. No horse deserves that though...even if it is a poor country :*(

·
Registered
569 Posts
The poor girl probably is wormy...not to mention just because there is grass doesnt mean it is good...

My boyfriends dad went to honduras and said there could be a horse in a feild of knee high lush looking grass that was skin an bones...why? cause even though the grass looked good the mineral content was extremely low and the sugar content an fat content was low...the only thing high was the salt content.

So just cause there is grass an forage in the picture doesnt mean much...that is if the grass in haiti is bad like it is in some parts of honduras...

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Oh god the poor little soul, bless her heart. And Joe, the poor burro - is that a gaping wound on his hind end?

So awful. So awful. I hate seeing this and knowing we are helpless to do anything.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That horse was skinny long before the rest of the world suddenly started caring about Haiti.

Poor mare.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I hope someone helps her, even puts her out of her misery if shes to far gone. That earthquake was a tragedy for sure, but all that has drawn massive attention to hiati, and i think thats a good thing, the people and animals will get way better care then before the earthquake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts