The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm getting two Shetland/miniatures as pets and company for my other horse. I have two paddocks, a smaller one that is sand and a huge one of lush grass. So I need grazing muzzles for the minis when in the grass paddock but I can move them to the sand at night or whenever to take them off as I probably can't keep them on 24/7. They need to be with my other horse or there is no point of having them as he needs company.heres what I was thinking of doing:

Turn horse and minis with grazing muzzles on into the pasture in morning
Turn back at about 4:00pm into sand with hay in slow feeder

And repeat. Do you have any recommendations or do you think that is alright? I can always change the paddocks if I have too.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Even with grazing muzzles on that may be too long for them to be on pasture if its lush. I would give them an hour or two at most in the morning then put them back in the small paddock. Some minis can figure out how to get grazing muzzles off pretty easily and if you aren't around they could spend the day gorging themselves and end up laminitic. Try put their slow feeder nets somewhere without sand if possible so they don't ingest any of it picking up dropped hay.

·
Super Moderator
22,860 Posts
You could also check out some 'track' setups, aka 'paddock paradise'. Could even run the minis around the outside on a track f/t & let your horse in the middle to graze p/t.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts