Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom pics.jpg

Hubby picked this up for me at the book store the other day. Bless him, he has no idea why he grabbed it other than it said "Western Horseman", but it is actually a great little how to book.

The author is Marty Marten, a student and colleague of such great horseman as Hunt, Brannaman, and Dorrance.

I liked it because he uses easy, clear, no nonsense techniques to teach ground manners as well as trouble shooting problems. He covers basic ground manners, riding foundation, trailering, hard to catch, barn sour/herd bound, spooking, ect.

I think it would be a great supplement for some younger and less experienced riders and those without access to a professional trainer.

Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
269 Posts
looks like something i might have to find for myself! lord knows i sure need more than the know how i've got. i suck with ground manners, i'm more comfortable ON a horse...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've actually seen this floating around at my tack store but because it was "western" I never really bothered with checking it out at all since I don't do any western.
Thanks for the quick overview of it, it sounds like it would be an interesting and helpful book to have on the shelf :)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Western, english, martain, horsemanship is universal. BTW One subject that I did not put in the first post was the chapter on water crossing and bridges.

Spence, the entire first section is nothing but groundwork. Clear and no psycho babble. There is a chapter devoted to tying as well. There is a big emphasis on moving the horses feet, you control the feet you control the horse.

·
Registered
269 Posts
vastly interesting. one question further - how much was the thing? cause we ain't got much excess right now at ALL.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
nearly bought this book today, and then the cashier said its was (wait for this) $59.95

it went right back on the shelf!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The horse shops over here charge ridiculous amounts for books (there was a 60 page book on braiding manes & tails that they wanted $50 for) . I might have to look in to getting it online, coz it did look like a really good read!

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya, all the western horsemen books are very expensive in my area. 30-60 is average. i have a couple but only because they went on sale. i love them though. so much good info. and there are so many different ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds like I'd find it really useful - the only problem is though, I'm English and am focusing on english riding for now! Hopefully I'll be able to find a similar version over here :)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said, the work in the book is universal, it is not about what discipline you ride at all, it is 100% about working with your horse and working through issues. I think it could be beneficial to any new or younger rider no matter the discipline. The only way this book is even remotely western is the saddles they ride in, everything can be done in an english saddle with no change to the technique whatsoever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh? Must've read your post wrong the first time! I'll have to have a look for it, wouldn't hurt me to read up on a few things and also get some lessons in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.