The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding/training a three year old, green-broke, filly (not mine, but at a friends barn). She was originally sent to a ninety day training program, and had apparently come back excellent; however, the story is that someone rode her when she was not suppose to be ridden and 'backtracked' her training tremendously.

Now, the filly was originally taught under western saddle, which is how I have been riding her. Another girl has been riding her under english when I am not around though. I know that this is simply not right, as she should be taught under one discipline in the beginning. Getting to the point, I suppose my true question is; if I were to start riding her english as well, would that be fair on her to have two riders so early in her career, or would it confuse her?

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
As long as the riders are clear and using similar aids, then the horse should be fine regardless of tack. But if it's like one is using no contact/neck reining, one is using direct reining and contact.. it could be confusing for her

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with Sky. So long as the 2 riders are of similar ability and use the same cues, then the horse could actually benefit greatly from being ridden by 2 people.

However, if the 2 riders are not of similar ability (one fluid with soft hands and independent seat and legs, the other floppy with hard hands whose seat and legs are all over the place), then yes it can damage her training substantially. The poor rider probably wouldn't notice the difference in the horse each ride, but the good rider would certainly see a huge backtrack in the training and handle of the horse.

Similarly, if they are using different cues (I've seen some English riders say they use a lot of inside leg in the turns, but as a western rider, I very seldom use inside leg, only outside leg), then it will be confusing as all get out for her and she'll never learn which is which...and she'll end up frustrated and sour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.