The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Gunnars teeth today and about lost it when I saw his wolf tooth on his right side... It's green/yellow.. His other teeth are fine and his other wolf tooth is fine. Am I being paranoid? And this picture doesn't fully do it justice..

And then his left wolf tooth

The equine dentist is coming out tomorrow morning to evaluate him.. I was feeling uncomfortable because one horse was done by the vet(who did Gunnar) and needed done again 6 month later. Gunnar is 13, the vet did him October 2010 and she said last August that he is good until October 2012... So now I'm curious what a dentist would say. In just wondering if I'm being paranoid..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
They look normal to me. :)

And those are his "canines."

The wolf teeth are different. They are tiny, pointy teeth right in front (like touching) the molars. Those are the ones the vets like to pull because they interfere with the bit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look normal to me. :)

And those are his "canines."

The wolf teeth are different. They are tiny, pointy teeth right in front (like touching) the molars. Those are the ones the vets like to pull because they interfere with the bit.
Yes pardon my idiocy :) canines. I'm glad I'm being paranoid. I don't suppose they make tarter control horse treats? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I have no idea on the tarter control treats, lol!

I guess I have always had older horses and their teeth have always been discolored, so I never worry about the color of their teeth, i just get the vet to float them once in a while and that's about it. :)

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
Yes, canine, and yes, tartar. It won't hurt anything, but if it really bothers you, you can gently use a pair of pliers to scrape at it and get it off (just softly grip the yucky part and slowly twist).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, I won't take pliers near him. I can imagine that would be as aweful as rubbing pliers on my teeth.I had asked the vet off I could brush his teeth but I was informed the enamel is on the inside of their teeth so outside just takes on some color of what they're eating.
I'll ask the dentist about treats :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so dentist said it was just tarter but she's seen tartered teeth abscess out and need extraction. She also said he has tmj soreness. And his molars, they are uneven on the tops and bottoms like where they come together to grind. She said his teeth should glide side to side and his come to a stop. Because of this he chews more on his left side than his right, the muscle on his left is bigger than right which is causing the tmj soreness. So! He gets done January 10th.... REALLY glad I went with my gut and got a second opinion... The vet said he was good for another year...
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.