The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would i go about grooming an inexperienced horse (not clipping and pulling or anything extravagant) Just curry, comb, brush, scrub away the mud and eye gooeys. She is about 9 years old but still is in the i must sniff everything you bring near me with my eyes bugged out stage

p.s. why do some posts come up bolded and others do no?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Teach her that grooming feels good. My appy used to hate being groomed, and I think that was just because he didn't have anyone groom him so much until I came around haha. It has taken about two years but he eventually has learned that hey.... that feels good when you do that.

Show her what you have in your hand, then find a good spot to curry. Try to find her good itch spot so she clicks that grooming is good.

If you can't approtch her with anything yet, then you simply still need to gain her trust before you take the next step.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just talk to her, brush her softly and slowly, patting her to rewarding her every time she relaxes. If she's got mud caked on her that could cause pain when grooming maybe use a wet towel to soften it up before your curry it. You don't want her to associate pain with grooming. She's probably never had anyone show her love in this kind of way. Personally, I think grooming is crucial in training and gaining trust. It's a happy time between horse and owner.

As far as time sessions, you've gotta work with her and adapt to what she can handle. You could start off with short sessions, just going until she's calm and then add on 5 minutes or so from then on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, thank you! she has never been mistreated in anyway to be afraid, but no one has personally taken the time to really bond with her this way i think

·
Registered
268 Posts
I definitely agree with the above posts. :) My boy wasn't groomed much either, and did not want anything to do with it. I brought the brush up to him and let him get use to seeing it and how it felt. Once he finally was ok with seeing it the best place to him oddly enough was his head. So I began there and then just kept going. He still has some issues on his back end but will at least stand still. Only problem is now he loves the brush a LITTLE to much LOL :lol:

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Unless she is going to try and get away from you (pull on the cross tie, etc) just groom and ignore her. I have a boarder who constantly gives in to every snort her horse does. As a result - the mare is going backwards in her manners and is getting dangerous. She actually ran her owner over the other day.

Yes it is the owner. The mare gives me no grief what so ever. I ignore her and she follows me anywhere I ask her to go. Stands tied quietly, etc.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
The best thing is just to spend the time with her, the more the better. My last horse had no clue someone would go out just to groom him; in a couple of months, he started enjoying it, and would stand for hours for me to play with his mane and tail, and would fall asleep. If she's never been groomed just for the 'bonding' experience, you just got to do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My mare was 11 when I got her. When I first started grooming her she was anxious. However after a few weeks, when I would brush her should would move around to get me to brush her in certain spots. She likes her neck brushed best.

Brushing feels good to the horse and it will not take long for them to figure out that it is a good thing.

No washing can be another story. I started with a sponge on the lower legs (use dry and then wet). My mare doesn't care much for the water hose but will tolerant it...my colt is scared to death of a water hose. If you have a problem there use a sponge and when you try a water hose...just start with a drip and use that on the feet. Wait till that is tolerable then turn the water up some.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another thing be careful with spray bottles.

My mare could care less about being sprayed with a solution from a spray bottle. But spray my colt and you would think he had been shot....still working on that with him.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we have given her a bath once, she danced around but didnt flat out freak. and the sray i dont think she minds because the owner does use fly spray on them all.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
First, I would get her to where you can run your hand anywhere on her, get her used to you and her voice. Monty Roberts 'Join-Up' works excellent on remedial or spookish horses, even one's that haven't been handled much.

But I think gentling is the first key. Then we she is used to you, bring out the brushes. And she will still be nervous, but once you establish a bond, and you are in charge, she will let you brush her, eventually, it will be no big deal =]

(I like using a lot of natural horsemanship. Monty Roberts and this site: countryhorsesupply.com I like the best =] )

Stay safe and keep us posted on how she does!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will! one thing, i believe she is fairly decent with being touched, ive gotten in her stall and rana brush over her once or twice, i wanted to know the proper way of going about it. She has one spot on her she gets mad (pins ears back and bites) if you touch. (i believe from a surgery or accident..or both..when she was a foal) how do i handle this? it's like on her belly on her left side (girth area)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hm, pain is not a good sign, esp. if she's expressing it to you so strongly. Has a vet checked her recently? What was the accident?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ps. Some threads come up bolded and some don't because the ones that don't are ones you have looked at already and havn't had any new posts in them. The ones that are in bold are ones you either have not looked at or have changed since you last looked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts