The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
A face brush! I find that regular sized brushes are uncomfortable to use on the horse's face, both for me and the horse. These specialized brushes come in a smaller size with softer bristles so I can really get in their face without causing any discomfort.

Here is just one example of the brush but there are many out there you can look at.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Let me preface my post with a fact about myself: I am a grooming-tool snob :oops: and I love Haas brushes! My oldest one is over 30 years old and its bristles are still like new.

I have a whole assortment of them, but The Diva finishing brush is my absolute favorite! It gives that last finishing touch and my mare (who used to hate grooming), sticks her head out the second she sees this brush.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/haas-diva-exclusive-soft-brush-12844

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me preface my post with a fact about myself: I am a grooming-tool snob :oops: and I love Haas brushes! My oldest one is over 30 years old and its bristles are still like new.

I have a whole assortment of them, but The Diva finishing brush is my absolute favorite! It gives that last finishing touch and my mare (who used to hate grooming), sticks her head out the second she sees this brush.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/haas-diva-exclusive-soft-brush-12844
My finishing brush is a $8 piece of garbage so I appreciate this haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
My horse dislikes bushes! Seems odd to me, but she very clearly prefers a rubber curry. I bought her a mud brush which *I* love, but she doesn't.

This cheap curry brush is my favorite tool: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/rubber-curry/BJI17/

And for her mane/tail, just a plain plastic brush does the trick. https://www.statelinetack.com/item/curved-mane-and-tail-brush/E015302/

Here's the mud brush - it is excellent. If your horse likes brushes I would recommend it: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/cowboy-mud-brush/BJH58/

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another Haas brush fan here! My boys might get a new one in each of their stockings for Christmas. I have a Schimmel and a softer one for finishing. They are worth the money and I plan on adding to my collection.

Both my fellas appreciate grooming gloves much more than curry combs.

A really sturdy hoof pick -- not the $2 job -- is invaluable with Cedar's special wedge/bar shoes.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Haas brushes. I have a Schimmel and it's by far the best brush I've ever used. As my other brushes give up the ghost, I'll be replacing them with Haas.

My pastured 24/7, living outside in the sun and mud and dust black horse with his bug-irritated, winter-coat-half-grown-in looked like a million bucks with a quick going-over with that brush.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
When some friends came from the US to stay with me they brought over a barbecue cleaning block they used for removing mud. It was good but wore out in no time!

I thought about it and bought a pack of the stainless steel pot scourers, the ones that start out as silver balls. I unravelled several and plaited them together and made in into a wad.

Absolutely brilliant at removing the toughest caked on mud and the best part is that the horses didn't mind it even in really ticklish places.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I’ve never tried a Haas brush. My two favorite soft brushes actually came from the girls winning 4H things with livestock.

I don’t remember what my new favorite curry type brushes are called or I’d look them up. Maybe though @COWCHICK77 will come and tell. She sent them to me as a gift, and they are amazing! They are plastic and the horses love them. (The eventual milk cow also loves the largest one.)

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I had to go out to the tack room to find some with the labels on them, I couldn't remember!

My favorite one's are the equiessentials. My horses love them. (The smaller green one)
I bought more online thinking they were the same. The Roma Miricle brush I didn't like as much. I use it on the dogs. I think they came from Stateline tack.(larger green brush)
They are great for caked-on mud. Stiff enough for the mud but soft enough for legs.
They do get clogged easily with hair so I use a shedding blade first during shedding season.

I have a set of Haas brushes and they are nice.

I have a little peanut face brush that is a favorite. It is the only brush Stilts doesn't protest to cleaning out the big divet in his forehead.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have a really ancient, very soft rubber curry which all the horses love, and which can even be used on summer coats and legs because so soft and elastic. All the ones I've seen in the shops since the 80s have been harder than this old favourite - which was made of real rubber, not synthetics, and I suppose it's hard to get those anymore now that everything is getting substituted with plastic... When the handle started to tear off this curry, I tried getting a replacement but none were soft like that, so I superglued the handle tear and use it very carefully, with the glued side not on the leading edge when currying. I have a more recent, harder curry which I only use on thick winter coats.

Here's something that actually looks like my old rubber curry - and is called a rubber curry - maybe you can still get them in some parts of the world / via the Internet:

-from https://www.tattiniriding.com/product/rubber-curry-comb-1743

Standard plastic body brush for scratching itchy spots and general grooming when they want their skin getting worked on - great for loosening stuff under the hair:

With body brushes, I totally avoid synthetic bristles and go for pig bristle / natural fibre, and like wooden handles (feel nice, wear better and avoid plastic waste):

I have an especially soft one for the face too, and also a sheepskin glove which I use on the face (and they really snuggle into it), and the body as a finisher for picking up surface dust after brushing:

...except mine is black...far more practical... :)

Also a hoof pick with a brush on the back, but more square than anything I could find image searching - again, it's over 20 years old and they're making different configurations now, it seems...

Really great for cleaning everything tip-top. That's very necessary before applying hoof dressings like Stockholm tar, lanolin etc, but also just good general practice, I think - I only use hoof dressings when they're really helpful, like for preventing rot in winter in the wet pasture, as my animals free-range and can get waterlogged feet in the wettest part of winter.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I have a really ancient, very soft rubber curry which all the horses love, and which can even be used on summer coats and legs because so soft and elastic. All the ones I've seen in the shops since the 80s have been harder than this old favourite - which was made of real rubber, not synthetics, and I suppose it's hard to get those anymore now that everything is getting substituted with plastic... When the handle started to tear off this curry, I tried getting a replacement but none were soft like that, so I superglued the handle tear and use it very carefully, with the glued side not on the leading edge when currying. I have a more recent, harder curry which I only use on thick winter coats.

Here's something that actually looks like my old rubber curry - and is called a rubber curry - maybe you can still get them in some parts of the world / via the Internet:

-from https://www.tattiniriding.com/product/rubber-curry-comb-1743

Standard plastic body brush for scratching itchy spots and general grooming when they want their skin getting worked on - great for loosening stuff under the hair:

With body brushes, I totally avoid synthetic bristles and go for pig bristle / natural fibre, and like wooden handles (feel nice, wear better and avoid plastic waste):

I have an especially soft one for the face too, and also a sheepskin glove which I use on the face (and they really snuggle into it), and the body as a finisher for picking up surface dust after brushing:

...except mine is black...far more practical... :)

Also a hoof pick with a brush on the back, but more square than anything I could find image searching - again, it's over 20 years old and they're making different configurations now, it seems...

Really great for cleaning everything tip-top. That's very necessary before applying hoof dressings like Stockholm tar, lanolin etc, but also just good general practice, I think - I only use hoof dressings when they're really helpful, like for preventing rot in winter in the wet pasture, as my animals free-range and can get waterlogged feet in the wettest part of winter.
I have about four of those rubber curries. Horses love them. Is there a way to get them to you that doesn't cost a fortune? There's a feed store near me that always has those on stock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts