The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The best one at a large yard was each horse was assigned a number. All headcollars and tack had tags with said number. Grooming supplies were in a bag (normal string bag) tagged with number and hung up on a hook by their stable. If no stables assigned, maybe by their tack? Included hoof pick per horse AND sponges (which had to be dried before put back). The only thing shared between horses was saddle pads and that is only after they were washed/dried and put away (not from one sweaty horse to another).
Boxes always break in my experience. Bags were better. Once a month every kit was washed/disinfected. We also had senior staff do bag checks - we had to lay out everything outside each stall so could make sure nothing was missing. In the morning the head girl would stand by a list on a whiteboard- you wrote your name next to what horse/number and, once groomed, go back and pick another. As you can imagine it meant everyone was accountable. Felt more like the military hah! They would check that horses had their feet picked, that grooming kits were clean after use and call anyone out that left a mess. Cleaning tack weekly was tracked the same.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Depending on the number of horses, you could also assign each horse a colour rather than a number. Then buy all their gear in that unique colour. This only works if you don't have so many horses that you can't find enough unique colours for each one.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Felt more like the military hah! They would check that horses had their feet picked, that grooming kits were clean after use and call anyone out that left a mess.
Lol. Was there also a person assigned to check if the horses were clean? As in, brushing over the horse wearing a white glove and the glove had to remain white... As well as the dust that you knock out of the curry when you scrape your brush against it had to be all white... Fun times 😁

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My horse is in a 'riding program' if you mean public stable. I keep my horse's grooming things in a plastic tool box that has his name on the lid in big letters. It is below his saddle in the tack room. Generally I clean the brushes in use by rubbing the bristles back and forth on the edge of a square post to get the loose hair and dried mud off. Every few weeks I take the kit home and rinse the brushes off with a bit of chlorine bleach in the water and sun dry. Another thing- in damp climates water can condense inside plastic boxes and mold can grow, so I give the box a rinse as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts