The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What distance do you set ground poles apart? Both for trotting and cantering? I've heard anything from 3' to 4'5" for trotting, and 6' to 9' for cantering. My horse is 15.3 hands, if that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've heard and tried successfully three human strides. But the best things is to try them out and then adjust if they consistently hit them. Bear in mind that the first few times they might knock them a bit of they are working them out. Also make sure this is done with heavy poles which won't easily move at the slightest knock (otherwise dangerous for the horse and long for you to constantly put back in place!).

·
Registered
804 Posts
I presume you mean for trotting: ideally it is about 4-4'6" depending upon the horse (I use about 5 heel on toe of my boot steps). The horse must step to the middle of all of them, if he steps short they are too long, and if he steps too far they are too short). And easy way to not have to change them is to put them in a fan shape and ride them on a circle. That way the proper distance can be ridden w/o having to change them, just go closer to the inside or more on the outside. It has little to do with size of the horse vs athletic ability/thrust. Do not make the horse struggle to do them, it will hollow the back. The height is ideally 6", and set into X so they cannot roll. Higher can help with joint articulation, but easily create tension. (Walk caveletti are shorter, and canter from 8-12')

Use of Cavalletti in the Training Program
A really good book for using them is Reiner Klimke's on Caveletti, and also Jimmy Wofford.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.