The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some books on basic ground work. I can't find any details on this book:

Lyons on Horses: John Lyons’ Proven Conditioned-Response Training Program

Description: Every year, some 10,000 people attend Lyons's clinics to learn the secrets contained in this complete training program for horses and trainers of all skill levels, by one of America's most popular and trusted trainer-instructors.

Does anyone know what this book is about? The description isn't ver helpful! Can anyone suggest a good book on ground work, I'm talking basic stuff, longing, backing, side-passing... Stuff you do on the ground. I'm working on building MY confidence with working on the ground. I've always been more comfortable in the saddle and clumsy on the ground....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I've read some of that book and I liked it alot but if you want the definitive book on ground work then True Horsemanship through Feel by Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond is the one to have. It combines the philosophy with some how-to stuff. Once you know why you can workout the how pretty easily.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try your library before you buy. If you are lucky you can find a lot of good books without committing until you see it. I use John Lyons publications, but the best written ones are his Ground Control Manual and Riding Manual. Very detailed and lots of pics. You wont find this one in the Library however, it is loose leaf.

·
Super Moderator
26,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought that book. (ordered it online.) I'll check the other books as well. The ground control manual may help me. I'll check out that book as well Kevin. Thanks. I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I've got a few that I really like

Clinton Anderson's book "DownUnder Horsemanship" is really good; it has alot of ground, and undersaddle exercises

"101 Horsemanship Exercises" Is really good too (not remembering the author-book's in my office...Lol)

I've got a couple others, but I'll be darned if I can remember the names right now...

·
Super Moderator
26,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 101 horsemanship excersizes and I love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.