The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any groundwork ideas I could do with my gelding? I have done a few things with him like back up, jumping a barrel, walk/trotting over a tarp, and moving his hip/shoulder over.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What is your reason for doing ground work? Are you having issues with your horse? Trying to teach him new things or train him? Or just to have something to do with him?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: BreakableRider

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You can set ground poles to trot over, for more of a challenge you can raise one end of each pole alternating left and right, teach the horse to side pass on the fence, side pass over the barrels and poles, side pass L, W, U shapes. Back up through L and U shapes, walk through tires (if your able to have them). Use plywood to walk over, or tin for a new sound. If you have ditches around they are great for going through. A good skill to have yield the hind quarters 360 degrees by just looking at his hip. Take a look around at your resources and be creative.

I am lucky to have my horses at home so I have set up an entire obstacle course with bridges, balance beams, pedestals, stairs, cowboy curtains, teeter tauter bridge lots of tires, mattresses. My list goes on and on but we never get bored.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
There is an excellent book out on horse agility. It's well illustrated and the writer literally walks you thro the process and explains why it's done this way. Exc. reference. Initially it's about getting the horse to complete the task then fine tuning it but it also needs periodic challenges to prevent boredom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whats your goal for the horse? If there's particular things you want to train him, I'm sure I could give you a few ideas. - so long as you have a good foundation in training.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Have you tried making a pattern with the tasks/obstacles? It's surprising how much different it feels to you and the horse to run a 8-10 minute pattern without pauses in between the obstacles Vs each task isolated. Hope that makes sense to you.

for example-lay out an obstacle course in whatever area you have available to you---tarp,,,then barrels,,,,then 2 poles parallel on the ground, then 4 cones spaced out, then a pedestal or teeter totter (if you have something like that), etc. etc.
Decide what it is you want him to do with each obstacle---example go accross the tarp Vs go onto the tarp, halt, stay for 7 seconds, then continue to next obstacle. Jump the barrels Vs line up the barrels and have him go sideways along the length of them. Back thru the poles Vs go forward thru them. Weave thru the cones Vs fig. 8 thru 2, then fig 8 thru next 2.
Get the idea ? be creative! have fun! Get it to where you and he can flow thru the pattern. have someone film you for the fun of it. :lol:
He'll soon be looking to you to know what it is you want him to do,,rather than 'she wants me to jump the barrels...again'

Fay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.