The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little continuation from this thread...since technically they are no longer yearlings LOL
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/yearlings-2012-a-155519/

Here's Talyn, a grade, inbred, fugly pinto filly that was feral when I got her as an almost yearling. Best guess is that she'll be 2 somewhere around the first part of April....so with her mare-itude, I'm just going to call her an April Fool's baby LOL.

All these pictures are old as I've not had a chance to get any new ones, but it will get us started at least.

Forgive her funky stance here and her "stink face". That's the mare-itude I was talking about LOL.

Just to prove that she can occasionally have a pleasant look on her face....

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yay!

Oh oh, I'm first!

I love Talyn! :D

Here's Stryder ( Rolling River Blue, 2012 Appaloosa), who's escaping from his stall rest for some fresh air. He'll be 2 early march! Time flies.

Currently standing at 14.2/14.3 at the withers, string-tested to 16.1. So we'll see! I was hoping for 15.2, I'm betting we'll at least get there. :D

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gosh, I'm beginning to think that Talyn really isn't going to grow at all. She string tests to 15.1, but is still holding steady about 13.2.....though her butt is about a full hand taller :rofl:.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I snapped a few little dinky pictures of Talyn today.

Every now and then, I see something in her that gives me an inkling of hope for her in the looks department.

Then once in a great while, I see something that really gives me hope that she'll not only look decent, but actually look good.

...then she has to start running around like a twit and blow that ship right out of the water with about 1000 torpedoes LOL.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Every now and then, I see something in her that gives me an inkling of hope for her in the looks department.

Then once in a great while, I see something that really gives me hope that she'll not only look decent, but actually look good.

She has a neck!... its not a pencil anymore! Haha she looks really good

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, yeah, she's kind of started to grow one a bit...and of course it doesn't hurt that she's pretty fat right now.

Thank you :D

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The most recent picture I have of Henny, taken on Sunday. We went for another walk. In this picture, he is staring down those terrifying horse-eating rocks. And bushes. LOL

I also took him over a small bridge for the first time(this one in particular) Like the one in the middle of the lake, there was no hesitation. He just walks reallllyyyy slooooow hahaha. He takes his time on processing it. I'll take that over refusal any day. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here are the most recent I have of Flint, learning to train in the round pen and having a blanket on for the first time. I have not string tested him yet, since I am not sure I want to know how short... I mean tall... he is going to be. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Here is Spidey's first ride.

He is 15.1 hands, strings to 16.2 and I think he'll hit it. He is a futurity horse, I am hoping to have him ready for the 2 year old HUS class at the world show this November.

He has been ridden about 10 times now ... about 20 minute each ride and the majority of it walking, giving body parts, and just being comfortable with me on his back. All our work his yearling year really paid off as he is very mellow about the whole thing. We won't ask for much until the summer - just keep it slow and easy.

And I know most on this board don't ride two year olds and so, before this thread devolves into "a 2 year old shouldn't be ridden" - Let me say - I get it, it's a good policy that helps a horse mature soundly .... However, I have started and shown many two year olds that have gone on to have long and productive careers, so am fine with it - if the horse has the strength and maturity. Many of my show buddies are already loping their prospects - I believe there is a balance.

I look forward to seeing the now two year old's in this thread as they grow, and yes, as they are started under saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^I agree, even for those who may not agree, let's not turn this into a debate thread. This thread is STRICTLY for sharing photos and progress of our growing youngsters.

Spidey looks amazing and so calm. I really wish that my little turd would grow enough to put a ride or two on her sometime this year....but with the way she's growing, she may be 4 before she sees any saddle time LOL.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My boy turns two in August! Ashlyn Buckshot aka Denny. Some might recognise him from me asking how big he'll get. I know he looks skinny in the photo but he's not. Just awkward and growing. :lol:
Sorry if the photo goes side ways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
^^I agree, even for those who may not agree, let's not turn this into a debate thread. This thread is STRICTLY for sharing photos and progress of our growing youngsters.
Oh good, I was worried that people would flip out. All of our horses have been started at two and we've got one in the pasture going on 15 completely sound.

Like Ace and Spidey, I'm aiming to get Lily to either APHA Congress or Worlds (or both) for the 2 y/o HUS. She'll be getting a later start though, in April, when she is officially 2 (and when I've saved up enough money for the trainer xD).

This is me sitting on her for the first time last weekend:

She could've cared less. I just got back from my first week at my new job, so I'm gonna measure her again this weekend and maybe just sit on her and flex her side to side. :)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Love being able to follow these "babies" as they grow. As someone who will probably never have a foal, I love following along with what it takes to produce a happy, well-rounded adult.

1 - 20 of 696 Posts