The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So his hoof has been growing for about 9 months now. Farrier is watching closely but getting time for taking new action. We certainly don’t want to see it separate. The hole is cleaned daily , no active infection. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before and what treatment was done. Please feel free to share. It has been a long 8 months. What started in hoof , then blew out in hock twice. Thank you for your time #fortheloveofCoop

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
That is a huge blow out on that hoof wall. Talk to your vet and farrier and see about getting some hoof crack , wall repair mesh and filler . One product is sbs hoof crack repair kits. How did this blow out in the hock ? Do you mean the pastern ?

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Or coronet?

I had a foal born under my care that was born with an abscessed hoof to the point it looked like swiss cheese. Most sloughed off. As it grew we tried special shoes but she would lay down and RIP them off. Longest time spent living in the pasture with her after momma tore up the vet's barn. Long, long, slow healing process. But heal it did. Later in life she was prone to massive abscesses that would blow out the coronet band. Those were messy but would heal as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Farrier here. 👋 It's difficult to tell by the photo, but your farrier may be able to support this foot with a clipped shoe as long as he has enough of the quarters left to nail to. If there is not enough healthy wall left you may be looking at utilizing a hoof boot, or possibly a glue-on with excessive treatment to limit risk of harboring bacteria. I would not personally try to cover or rebuild this wall; imho it's an unnecessary expense, and high risk for harboring anaerobic bacteria since there's no way to add drainage (that I can think of).

The cases I dealt with personally were back to normal 6-to-7 months from the stage this foot is at now. With that said, if abscesses are recurring I would recommend you have radiographs taken of the foot to rule out abnormal pathology.

Please keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Yeah, that's a decent size abscess! What caused it? And what do you mean 'blew out in the hock twice'? If abscesses are recurring, rather than just from an accidental bash to the coronary border or such, and given it's size, I'd also advise getting a vet to do some rads, if you haven't.

It appears the wall might be flared forward, but can't really tell for sure from that one pic. You can see there is some flaring at the quarters tho. So first thing first, is to get the feet well trimmed & keep them that way, until it grows out completely - well, that should be done anyway, but I know life gets in the way sometimes... If that was 9 months ago, the hooves are quite slow growing. There's still a good amount of solid hoof wall below the crack - I'd ensure that was kept well trimmed & bevelled, to keep any undue pressure off it, but leave that section of wall there for support & protection, while it grows down. But you can dig out behind it, if there is any 'seedy' infection present.

So, hopefully it will 'hang in there' & provide adequate protection until the good wall's grown down enough. But if not, I don't tend to think conventional rims are helpful in most cases, and a 'normal' sort of abscess or seedy crack I think can be better stabilised if need be, with a plate across the face of the crack, but in this sort of case, because this is so broad, a rim shoe may well be most helpful to stabilise, if it breaks away too soon, or there's still too much hole above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, hopefully it will 'hang in there' & provide adequate protection until the good wall's grown down enough. But if not, I don't tend to think conventional rims are helpful in most cases, and a 'normal' sort of abscess or seedy crack I think can be better stabilised if need be, with a plate across the face of the crack, but in this sort of case, because this is so broad, a rim shoe may well be most helpful to stabilise, if it breaks away too soon, or there's still too much hole above.
On your side of the world what do you consider a rim shoe? If it's the shoe pictured below... all is not well and we need to have words. 😅

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
^Hehe, yeah, far from any kind of expert on horse shoes, tho I've put a fair few on & taken a heap off in my time! As conventional shoes are fit to/only cover the rim/wall of the foot, I just meant conventional steel rims. BUT I just did a quick google of different types of shoe to see, and on a US horseshoeing site(Common Types of Horseshoes), it specifically refers to one like you pictured, as 'rim shoes' being ones with a deep groove their entire length for added grip, as for barrel racing, etc. So is there something different specific you think of as a 'rim shoe' wherever you be from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts