The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I'm on a phone so not much help. I'm not going to voice my suspicion because I could be not seeing what I think I am.

I will notify other brainiac hoof gurus of the forum.
@loosie
@Hondo

There's several more but that's a start.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
I have never seen anything like that before. Therefore I would be calling a vet.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Gees! Looks like a frog to me! Call the vet!!

Seriously, can't see anything obvious that you're talking about. What is it exactly you're worried about? Got a better pic that shows whatever it is clearly, or can you point it out, or post one you can enlarge?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Would you mind editing in paint and drawing/circling the area you're worried about? Is it the "mushy" part of the frog you're worried about? It is a bit hard to see with this photo I also can't see anything that jumps out... can you take a picture with flash and closer up? I did know someone that rushed to grab a member of staff panicking about the weird growth on a horses foot as had no knowledge of hoof anatomy.

I'd be interested if I am just totally blind...

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
I think you’re asking about the “separation” of the fleshy part of the hoof on the right side, because that’s all I can see that might be an issue.

Was that hoof washed and is still soaked for the picture? If not, it looks like a hoof that stands in the wet all day long with no chance to dry out.

If the hoof never has a chance to dry out, that’s likely why that’s happening.

If the horse can spend part of the day in a dry area (a CLEAN-urine-free stall for example), then I’d wonder why that is separating like it is.

Is the horse is lame? If so, for how long?

My best guess is:

1. The horse managed to split the heel bulb open on a rock, or even on ice and it probably has some infection starting in there.

2. Anaerobic bacteria or fungus found its way in small crack and is eating the flesh away.

The hoof looks to be well cared for (a good trimming schedule), therefore I can’t imagine that could be canker. The owner of the horse might be better off texting a better picture than this to the vet and asking for guidance.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
IMHO, were that my rescue, I would get the vet involved. I know that costs money but it’s a given with rescues to “expect the unexpected”.

I would want to know exactly what that growth is and/or what’s underneath it.

If your friend doesn’t have an all-around farm vet or an equine vet, he/she needs to get a better picture of that (dry), find a clinic he/she is comfortable with and show the pic to the receptionist, and a vet in the office.

Nothing gets a vet’s attention more than a picture - and telling them the horse is lame because of whatever that is.

For now, Without knowing what that is, the safest thing would be soak in Epsom salts and barely warm water, if the horse will let you. Then pat dry with paper towels.

Since there’s an odor there is, indeed, anaerobic issues going on. They only get worse without medication.

Again, the safest thing for now would be to use a combo of equal parts of Triple Antibiotic Ointment/Equate brand diaper rash paste with 40% zinc oxide/any name brand of athletes foot cream.

If the horse will let both of you quietly (and quickly) work on that hoof by soaking and applying innocent meds from the WalMart shelf, it would be a head start for the vet visit and hopefully bring some relief to the horse.

Keeping the horse in a clean, dry stall part of the day would also go a long way toward healing:)

And, if the horse is fairly good natured to put up with its hoof being fooled with, that says a lot for who it is:):)

Best wishes and PLEASE keep updating:):). I’m curious what the vet says:)

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
What I see is some sort of growth going over the back part of the frog to up the heel. Again, I would call a vet as I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
49,446 Posts
looks like thrush. But, could also be a small puncture in the frog has become infected. A piece of wire or nail, or a sharp twig could even still be lodged inside.

hope we hear what vet says.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
It doesn't look like canker to me, or really an obvious growth, but I know that can manifest in different ways, so if there is a 'growth' on the frog, I'd definitely get the vet. IF it is canker, there is no 'home remedy' for this & the horse will need surgery. It is also potentially contagious, so be careful with your tools before using them on other horses.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I see some cracks in the frog which may have thrush in them. I see a very wet looking hoof that looks like it could use some drying out in a dry stall with lots of shavings. It looks like there is an opening in between the heel bulbs which might be infected, or there could be a puncture there, again I can't tell for certain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.